DW 5000 2-leg high hat question

Mattyxxl

I just purchased one of these and have some questions about the adjustment. When I put my top cymbal on, it just goes to the closed position no matter how far I set the clutch

Is there away to adjust this? The wheel at the bottom seems to adjust speed but it won't adjust strength if that makes sense.

Without seeing it, with no cymbals on it, does the rod go up and down with the pedal when you put your foot on it? What I usually do is drop my top cymbal on it, then depress the pedal with my foot to how far I want it to go, then tighten the hi-hat clutch at that point. The spring in the stand should be strong enough to get the cymbal up there when you let go. Is it not doing that?

I've got the 9000 and I kinda know what you mean. I thought something was wrong with mine at first. The weight of the top hat is bringing it down onto the bottom hat is that right?

You have to set the clutch a bit higher to compensate, and it seems to rectify itself once you put your foot on the pedal and then release it. The thing above the pedal is spring tension. I set mine to max.

Sounds like a broken spring to me. All of my stands easily support a combat at the default spring tension.

That adjuster at the bottom of the stand is supposed to be a tension adjustment.
You should be able to adjust the spring tension to raise any weight cymbal with ease.

From the dw manual;

2.3: Spring Tension (all 5000 Hi-Hat models)
The 5000 Series Hi-Hats provide for incremental spring tension adjustment.To adjust the feel of the pedal:
1. Loosen the drumkey screw in the center top of the base casting (front side for 5500D & 5500L, back side for 5500TD & 5500TL).
2. Rotate the drumkey screw clockwise to tighten the spring and counter clockwise to loosen it.

Go to 3:20 in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRcP4RwX3Y8&feature=share&list=PLIqdy7j_SBiLKTtY0DFSC6HFUDmXo8kbi

If adjusting the tension wheel doesn't work then there is something mechanically wrong with the stand.

Last edited:
Back