DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE

Re: THE DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE THREAD

Hi,
recently i got my Twin Drum Pedal and i have a question. As it comes to single pedal i feel comfortable playing heel-down and heel-up, so the question is what to build up on the double bass? And does it really matter? Saw maany drummers and all are playing heel-up, and none heel-down, so ... yeah.

Re: Can Jazz drummers use double bass?

Well, they can (they can use anything they want). I just dont know how often they would use it.

Of course they can. You can do what you want. ;)
Of course, if it doesn't fit...

I do a little double bass thing sometimes using triplets. Three on the bass, three on the hands. I think it sounds pretty cool when I'm pretending to be good at jazz. :D

Louie Bellson pioneered the double bass, so really it was jazz before metal.

its sure they can do what they want but how propriate it would be?

watch billy cobham´s videos.
I think that they will show you how he can use double bass :)
He´s one of the best, he´s the legend. And just like the other said : "they can use whatever they want".

Peace

Thaum said:
Hi,
recently i got my Twin Drum Pedal and i have a question. As it comes to single pedal i feel comfortable playing heel-down and heel-up, so the question is what to build up on the double bass? And does it really matter? Saw maany drummers and all are playing heel-up, and none heel-down, so ... yeah.
Play whatever technique you are comfortable with
What I do is develope patterns heel down to learn to control them and whaen i want to go faster I simply raise my heels a bit.
ZORO is a master at heel down for single bass JOHN Logstreth from Origin plays heel down and has great double basschops.
THOMAS Lang plays heels down and accents heel up.
experiment and see what works best for you
Tim

I have read this forum in detail and have noticed that a lot of questions are coming from guys who are strruggling with up tempo 16th and 32nd notes bass drum patterns.

GUYS you have got to chill down. Do not get disheartened when watching guys like Lang, donati, the guy from cryptoposy (flo somebody) etc. these guys have spent years thats right upwards of ten years getting their feet into shape. Like the hands it requires a lifetime of dedication to reach technical perfection. I am sure that when Tim Waterson started with a double bass pedal he wasn't playing the 260 -270 + bpm 16th notes he can today.

I have been playing the double bass pedal for nearly three years and in my own opinion I stink despite being able to upwards of 210 bpm 16th notes. To me speed is irrelvant because when you reach these speeds and are comfortable playing it you get BORED VERY QUICKLY. Unless you want challenge Tim's frankly ridiculous (sorry Tim but you are the master) record of 1063 single strokes with the feet in 60 secs, in most musical situations speeds of 16th notes at 200 bpm won't be neccessary!!!!! (Except death metal, which lets face it sounds like white noise most of the time). Use your double bass musically, check maybe Vinnie Coliauta, steve gadd, mark Mondesir, dennis chamers, or Marco Minnemann uses the double pedal very tastefully.

Peace

bobie2000 said:
i might be wrong, but im pretty sure that it was a jazz drummer who first used two bass drums
You are correct, it was Louie Bellson in the 1950's.

Dave Weckl and Billy Cobham are NOT Jazz drummers.

Ed Thigpen is and has used a double pedal for years. There are some actual Jazz drummers out there who do.

G

Ed Shaunessey (sp?) plays two big old bass drums.

On the question of how "appropriate" double bass would be in jazz, it would depend entirely on the style of jazz, the other players in the band, and the audience. I know several purists who would bust a vein at the mention of using double bass on a traditional jazz gig, and the majority of jazz drummers avoid it like the plague. However, some players with possibly a more open mind will appreciate the unique accents a double bass can provide to the music (especially for quick fills or climactic moments), and it definitely has a place within the modern jazz drumming vocabulary.

So get to know the opinions of those your playing with and pay close attention to the music your playing - you may stumble upon a great moment where bringing in the double bass will light up your bandmates and the audience, and let the music shine that much clearer.

Toby_Jackson said:
... I know several purists who would bust a vein at the mention of using double bass on a traditional jazz gig, and the majority of jazz drummers avoid it like the plague. ...

count me in this camp.

"jazz" has come to mean almost any music that involves improvisation, and certainly double-bass has a place under that umbrella. but, i believe that the real evolution of "jazz" ended in the early 60's, perhaps even the late 50's, and since then has been wandering aimlessly in the hinterlands. in this context (admittedly, my own narrow opinion), i believe a double-bass is out of place.

How do you play your Double Bass?

ok so lets say im playing a slow 8th note groove and im playing straight double bass throughout the song, what would you play? Heel up or heel down? Honestly I feel it is impossible to go slow while playing heels up. I havent been playing db for that long but as of now I am working on heel down and I use heels up for speed. I use the flat foot technique for that. For doubles I use heel toe. Is this the method that other drummers use because this is the only thing that really makes sense to me?

Dreamtheater4life,

Are the mentionned speeds with 8th notes ? this is my aim for my right foot

As a single (righty) bass player, I wonder when ideally switch to double bass and how ?

Back