Notation Question

Interesting, because the note value normally governs the roll at common tempos: 8th note is a 5 stroke, dotted 8th is a 7 stroke, 1/4 note is a 9 stroke, etc.

Bermuda

Just to make it as clear and easy as possible....The first note in bar 1 is an accented 8th note. You then play 16th note doubles.

The count is thus.
1 - & a 2 e & a 3 e & a.

When you play it continually it becomes the role. 1 - & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 1 etc. In bar 3 it changes and you play two 5 stroke rolls.

It often helps students to make photocopies of sheets and write the count above each note until they become familiar with it.

IHTH.

I'm sure Dairyman answered this for you, but your question does raise an interesting question. Why don't "most" books put in a key to what their notation is? Roll and rudiment notation is so different from publisher to publisher why do they seem to assume everyone knows what's what with all the notations? When I started, the number of slash marks and ties denoted the which rolls were which. When I started playing in school, the books we used were as Bermuda answered. Since then, I've seen many, many different notations.

Scumdrummer -

They are informational - not unlike the stickings. Both are commonly included in snare drum solo etudes and other educational type pieces, and are most often not indicated in actual performance music.

In "Solo 91" - the roll indications are there to provide insight into the sticking scheme of the piece. By indicating how the various phrases are just roll rudiments that the player already knows, I think the idea is that it will help the piece come together quicker for the player... And possibly help the player get their mind wrapped around being able to play it at a quicker tempo for easily.

The second piece "Solo 92" is much more standard with the indicated 5 stroke rolls being played as "32nd notes" as would be common practice.

David

Wy Yung -

Nice explanation overall, but....

both pieces are in 6/8, not 3/4. So "1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a" would actually be "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 &"

6/8 - 6 beats to the bar and the 8th note gets one beat.

Though much like cut time - 6/8 march music like this is generally felt "in 2". So if one was to count 1 - - 2 - - , or simply tap one's foot - the count/tap would be on beat 1, and the second on beat 4.

David

Interesting, because the note value normally governs the roll at common tempos: 8th note is a 5 stroke, dotted 8th is a 7 stroke, 1/4 note is a 9 stroke, etc.

Bermuda

I was taught that an 8th could be either a 5 stroke or a 7 stroke: 5 if you're playing straight 32nds, 7 if you play it as 32nd note triplets.

Is this true? Comments?

Wy Yung -

Nice explanation overall, but....

both pieces are in 6/8, not 3/4. So "1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a" would actually be "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 &"

6/8 - 6 beats to the bar and the 8th note gets one beat.

Though much like cut time - 6/8 march music like this is generally felt "in 2". So if one was to count 1 - - 2 - - , or simply tap one's foot - the count/tap would be on beat 1, and the second on beat 4.

David

Of course. Wasn't careful enough. Am a two finger wonder on the keyboard and often think too much about that and forget the details. Thanks for fixing it.

I was taught that an 8th could be either a 5 stroke or a 7 stroke: 5 if you're playing straight 32nds, 7 if you play it as 32nd note triplets.

Is this true? Comments?

Oops - That's the way I've always approached it - with the choice being basically dictated by tempo. When the tempo gets slow enough, 5 strokes just won't fill the space sufficiently.

Wy Yung - That's what I figured. It actually slipped right by me the first time I read your post. :)

David

this must be pretty old sheet music?
then they just wrote any sort of roll and indicated what kind it was by short hand notation, i.e. writing it above the roll.
nowadays they'll transcribe the value in which the roll sustains, so you don't have to necesarily know wat kind of roll it is

Back