Starting Drums late (age 21 for me) and very upset about that.

Forbesguy634

Hi guys,
I'm what you call a newbie drummer and one who is extremely passionate and enthusiastic about it, I'm sure you all can relate. All I do this summer is work that basic 9 to 5 job, Financial Analysis, @ work prob do work 40% of time and think about drumming the other 60% haha. SO I basically then drum every sec I can. I even wake up at 3am in the morning (for the past 2 months) and drum till the dreadful 7:30am rolls around and I have to get ready for work.
I've been working religiously on my rudiments, stick control, feet, Snare reading and playing, and counting. Is this anything else I should focus some time on? Anyways my biggest REGRET in life which I feel is my parents fault haha is not starting earlier. So I just started this thread to see if theres others like me or if anyone could help with my progression.

Goals: Get as good a I can (till I die), play at church or start a band or start playing at gigs(when capable), become teacher later, pretty much anything to do with drum. Hopefully make it a career later in life.

Reason: Passion, Fun accomplishment, excitement & LOVE for the drums.

PS: finding this site was such a relief, because I find out that theres other out there that share the same passion.

My set:- Its not so good, but I think I have some good things, feel free to criticize:
-Sabian cymbals:
-HH-14"
-Ride- 20"
-Crash- 16"
-Pulse Shell pack (Beginners)
-Pearl Customer Masters Snare 14X6.5 (My favorite thing ever)
-Pearl eliminator double pedal (way better then my stock, love it)

Questions:
:
I got a pearl double bass, is that to soon since I'm still working on my single?
-Should I get a china or splash soon?
-Don't have time for teacher, but should I get one once I do?
-I use lots of videos and tools on line for the time being, any recommend ones?
-Plus any other advice?

Plus if there is anyone else in my possition, please comment on your situation.

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill
"drumming is life" - ME

THANKS!

A lot of questions, Twenty-one is not late. Its just as good as any age to start. Do not feel that you have lost any time. From your post I can tell that you are dedicated and you practice, That will serve you well also. Your kit and the dimensions of your cymbals are fine. Getting a china or a splash is a good idea but not mandatory at this time. Playing double bass will not hurt if it is double bass that you want to master. Taking lessons is always good but if you feel that you are progressing it can wait if you don't have time. Watching videos is always helpful. I love you tube. Last but not least, you quoted Winston Churchill! It doesn't get any better than that! I automatically like you.

Hello, Forbesguy634.

As you mentioned Winston Churchill, so Never Surrender on your drums!

All the Best,

I would say you should try to get lessons from a reputable teacher as soon as possible Forbesguy634, even if it's just one lesson every couple of weeks. At least that way they can evaluate your technique and help you if you are developing any bad habits.

Bro, 21 is not too late! Sounds like the passion is there and that is really all that matters. I started palying when I was 16, had to give it up at 20 (life became too demanding) and picked it back up about 4 years ago (I'm now 36).
Since I've gotten back into it, I've noticed that I "come with it" with a lot more maturity than I did before. Taking lessons, learning your basic rudiments, playing along with music (cd's, mp3, etc.) will get you where you want to be quickly. Listen to all types of music, BTW.
One of the fastest ways to become proficient is to play with other musicians whether through the church (as you mentioned) or just with some friends. You'll have to decide when you are ready for that.
I wish you the best of luck! Never give up!

I got a pearl double bass, is that to soon since I'm still working on my single?

"I prefer people to learn a single first, but as you have it you may as well use it."

"Yes."

"There are many DVDs out now that are great. The Jojo Mayer DVD is exceptional and highly recomended. Steve Jordan's DVD is also wonderful in that it is enjoyable to watch again and again. There are so many others it is hard to list them all. Visit a drum store and see what they have."

-Plus any other advice?

"My advice is to not be worried about starting "late". I find adults have far more drive and are able to focus more clearly on what needs to be done to succeed than children. Get a teacher asap so he or she can help guide you."

Yes, in my opinion. I've seen several drummers my age (14) who can only do double bass, and they rely on it for everything, instead of good technique. I would work on single-pedal technique, and getting that down, and then adding the double bass later.

I don't have a china, but splash cymbals are so cheap, why not? They sound great, as they don't have very long sustain, but they cut through the mix of cymbals very well.

Teachers can help a lot. Even just for a few lessons, they can be a tremendous help to learn proper skills. However, people on Youtube has plenty of great tips you can learn from.

-Plus any other advice?

Always consult this forum before buying anything drum-related. I've been scolded for buying Pearl Exports, used, for $200. On THIS forum. Seriously guys, they don't sound that bad. Haha.

Good luck!

Dude

21 is not too late. I started at 28 and I'm gigging now, have my first proper kit on order and I'm loving every minute and getting better all the time. It's sounds like you've got the drive and the passion so keep at it, especially if your happy doing rudiments and proper exercises. I can't force myself to do them so my technique suffers from it.

As for the double pedal - USE IT!!! I disagree with anyone who says work on single first. Work on both at the same time and not one or the other. I didn't use the double much at first and I regret that now because it's taking me a while to get up to scratch with it.

Work on your left hand and left foot as much as you can because they are the weakest parts as they are used less. I'm still struggling to get my left hand up to speed for fills n stuff - it does a kind if circling motion instead of straight up and down.

21 is definitely not too late. I didn't start until my early 30's, and over the past 10 years have recorded with three different bands and gigged all over the east coast. My number one suggestion is to find time to get a teacher. Video's are great, but there is no feedback on how you're doing as far as your technique, etc. Lessons helped me a great deal when I started out and allowed me to progress much faster than I would have on my own. Sounds like the equipment you have is more than adequate for a new drummer, so keep at it and have fun!!

As for the double pedal - USE IT!!! I disagree with anyone who says work on single first. Work on both at the same time and not one or the other. I didn't use the double much at first and I regret that now because it's taking me a while to get up to scratch with it.

Totally agree with this, the sooner you start using a double pedal, the sooner you start getting your left leg up to par, I mean you wouldn't start drumming with just your right hand would you? And then bring the left in once you've master the right...that’s just ridiculous! With a single you would obviously still be using your off foot for hi-hat work, but it's nowhere near the workout that it'll get on a double pedal, in fact since I got a double pedal my hi-hat work has improved immeasurably. BUT the important thing is to still use the hi-hat pedal a lot and play single bass just as much as you play double bass, which is totally doable if your disciplined.

Oh yeah and like people have said, 21 is not too late..you've still got many many decades to learn and improve, and with your attitude you will become great, I started at 23 myself

I just started playing at age 20, and been loving it. like you, I blame my parents for not starting earlier, because since I was a kid I've always wanted to learn the drums, but they put me on piano lessons instead (that I dropped out 3 years after).
obsession is half way through to success, so judging by your post you're in the right path. keep going!

Hey forbesguy! Welcome to the forum.

Hi guys,
I'm what you call a newbie drummer and one who is extremely passionate and enthusiastic about it, I'm sure you all can relate. All I do this summer is work that basic 9 to 5 job, Financial Analysis, @ work prob do work 40% of time and think about drumming the other 60% haha. SO I basically then drum every sec I can. I even wake up at 3am in the morning (for the past 2 months) and drum till the dreadful 7:30am rolls around and I have to get ready for work.
I've been working religiously on my rudiments, stick control, feet, Snare reading and playing, and counting. Is this anything else I should focus some time on? Anyways my biggest REGRET in life which I feel is my parents fault haha is not starting earlier. So I just started this thread to see if theres others like me or if anyone could help with my progression.

Goals: Get as good a I can (till I die), play at church or start a band or start playing at gigs(when capable), become teacher later, pretty much anything to do with drum. Hopefully make it a career later in life.

Reason: Passion, Fun accomplishment, excitement & LOVE for the drums.

PS: finding this site was such a relief, because I find out that theres other out there that share the same passion.

My set:- Its not so good, but I think I have some good things, feel free to criticize:
-Sabian cymbals:
-HH-14"
-Ride- 20"
-Crash- 16"
-Pulse Shell pack (Beginners)
-Pearl Customer Masters Snare 14X6.5 (My favorite thing ever)
-Pearl eliminator double pedal (way better then my stock, love it)

Questions:
:
-Plus any other advice?

Plus if there is anyone else in my possition, please comment on your situation.

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill
"drumming is life" - ME

THANKS!

As far I can tell, you don't have much to worry about in your practice routine. In fact, I'm envious of your practice regime. I've always believed that age serves no limitation on an individual's playing skill. The work and time that you've put into playing is what matters, and you've certainly become dedicated to drumming already.

Concerning your double bass pedal. It's up to you. Do you use double bass in your playing? Someone above posted "work on both your feet, it's not like you would drum with just one hand". That's right, you wouldn't drum with just one hand, but you will most likely be doing a lot of bass drum playing with just one foot (the right foot). Having two feet both with strong bass drum technique is only important if it's applicable in your playing. Not to say it isn't applicable. There are plenty of players who can find plenty of use for double bass, so don't let me discourage you from practicing it if you want to use it.

A teacher can help you in a lot of ways that are very difficult to achieve with your own practice routine. A teacher will be able to watch and analyze your technique and help you to make it easiest and most comfortable for you. Also, a teacher is great because they can hear your playing and let you know about how it sounds to an audience and often times point out subtleties that you wouldn't usually catch listening to yourself while playing. In that way, a good teacher helps you to work on your listening skills. And all of this a teacher can do in person and explain to you in a way that makes sense to you. If you don't have time, it's not a problem, especially since you have such a dedicated practice schedule. I can't stress enough the help that a teacher can give, though, especially one who is knowledgeable of all things drum and has years of experience.

My last bit of advice would be to make sure to look into playing with a group, whether it's at church, school, or just some musical friends. Playing with a band can teach you a lot of things about drumming-- and it's pretty fun too.

i would start with a single pedal. i didn't start using a double pedal until a year or two into my playing and i'm glad because i think starting out with a single pedal helped me later in the sense that if i don't have the double pedal i'm not lost without it.

21 too late for learning drums? Nooooooo!!!

Check out my drum course for all ages. Learn on your own kit at home in your own time @ www.britchops.co.uk

Cheers

Last edited:
Concerning your question about getting a splash or china soon, what brand of cymbals do you have? If what you have are already good quality, and you feel the need for a splash or china, go for it. If not, replace cymbals before you start buying new ones.

You guys are asking questions to a 5 year old thread. He's 26 now lol.

Back