Jazzers, 16x18 or 14x18 bass drum?

vxla

Silver Member
I'm going to be placing an order for a smaller bass drum to use in a small jazz combo. I've mostly used a 20x14 for this situation, but want to go a bit smaller. Jazzers: what would you prefer... 16 (depth) x 18 (diameter), or 14 x 18? I know that the 14-depth will be punchier, etc., but want some opinions.

For strictly jazz, I'd go 18x14 no question.

If you are getting rid of your 20x14 and still want some versatility for funk/rock/r&b, I'd get the 18x16.

I don't think I've ever played an 18x16. I did gig (unmiked) and record some full-volume songwriter stuff with an 18x14 Sonor Phonic recently and it sounded amazing. I think my 18x14 Keller-shell Slingerland probably sounds a little weak playing louder music unmiked, but I don't have to do that that often, and I like the drum so much I don't really care. I don't think the extra 2" of depth would help enough for me to seek one out.

I'm sure someone will flame me for this, but I couldn't tell a negligible difference between a 14x18 and a 16x18 (I've owned both at one time). So, being the practical guy that I am, I'd get the 14x18 just because you can fit it into the trunk of a Toyota Camry if you had to.

In my opinion, if you're just playing small-group jazz, like a piano trio or acoustic quartet, there's nothing quite like the sound and feel of a 14" x 18" bass drum. It just seems to have the right balance of tone, presence and responsiveness.

Just my 2 cents. If you're playing other styles of music, or even with larger jazz groups, then there are other considerations.

owning both sizes I can tell you that there is not a huge difference between the two..... especially when you are not laying into them like you would in a rock setting

try each and see what you like

the type of wood and head selection will make a greater difference that the 2 inches of depth

both sound great and work well in jazz situations

I'd go 14x18 hands down....but prefer 12x18....and currently play with a 9x18 (pushing it really).

Neither here nor there. As mentioned, since 14x18 is smaller, that's what I'd get (and do own) since it takes up less space.

If you're aiming for jazz, then a 14x18 is probably better. 16" and deeper bass drums are more of a modern design aimed at pop and rock music, and the tighter, "clickier" kick sound that goes with.

Yeah, this would be a Maple/Mahogany drum.

Bo: you're right on with your thought about fitting it into the trunk... my 14x14 fits, my 16x16 doesn't fit, so I'm leaning towards 18x14 kick drum.

Remember it will be deeper than your 14x14 due to the hoops so it may still not fit in your trunk.

Actually I use a 20x16 soft case because I use a riser on my 18". That way I don't have to remove the riser and I can leave the spurs extended too. Fits perfectly.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn't make cases for that size. But remember that 14" is the shell size without the hoops so 18x18 may fit the bill.

I love the 14x18 bass drum from my Mapex Saturn Manhattan kit.
I vote for 14x18 for Jazz combo.

Guys - concerning 18x14: Does anyone use Hardcase for this drum?

I've ordererd a 18x14 bassdrum and a fitting Hardcase for it, but they only come
in 18x18 size apparently. I wonder if that will be a problem for the x14 drum? Strange
thing Hardcase wouldn't make cases for 18x14 drums...!

They make them for both bass drum and floor tom. Perhaps I misunderstood your post.
here is a search for 14x18 hard drum case. https://www.google.com/search?q=14x...29,d.dmQ&fp=44e413ac730333ef&biw=1272&bih=683

Thanks for your replies, sorry for the hijack vxla!!

Bob: Yes I meant bassdrums only (as I don't have a 18" floortom, and if I did, it would
be 18x16 :) ). And since I load all my drums into Hardcase (the brand) cases, I don't
want to have one piece of another design, because the Hardcases are stackable.

Back