Your favorite full-service e-Stores for drumming stuffs

While the big-box stores (GC, Musician's Friend, etc) are okay simply for their grand scale of inventory, I prefer the insight of an expert when it comes to online purchases. And as much as I love craigslist and the classifieds, I'm not the biggest proponent of the "wait for the right deal" game. So, I've been spending a whole lot of time searching around the web for some nice, full-service e-stores for drumming "stuff".

Now, IMO, a great e-Store has:

- A nice, smooth design that's easy to navigate
- Clear, detailed photos and (most importantly) sound clips of the actual instrument you're looking at purchasing, especially if it's a used instrument.
- Easy access to customer service folks for phone calls during normal business hours, and e-mail answers within 24-48 hours when it comes down to answering questions about product.
- Reliable, rock-solid reputation (this is, of course, earned over time).
- Easy, trustworthy payment and shipping options.

So what are some of your favorite full-service e-Stores for drumming gear?

I'll start - found this gem browsing e-bay:
Hazelshould Vintage Drums & Cymbals
Pros:
- Very clean layout, easy to navigate
- Excellent photos, product descriptions, and sound files
- All standard payment options (standard CC, paypal,)
- Customer service phone number clearly posted right on the front page
- "Green Star" ebay score, with e-bay store linked right on the front page
Cons:
- Limited inventory (however, I'd expect this from a reseller of vintage equipment).
- Some difference in catalog prices on the website, vs "buy it now" prices on e-bay store.

One of my local stores Alto Music has recently improved their website and online offerings, they have a full staff of knowledgeable people and the department managers are very experienced musicians. Their prices are right around GC/MF check em out. And if you can buy in person they often sell under GC prices.

altomusic.com/

"hazel" is close to me and he seems like a cool guy.

i emailed him about buying some NOS parts from me as i also buy to resell. so we both sell items yet inventory always rotates because we're not actual stores.

My fav online store: Who has the best price

There is no such thing as a full service e-Store. By simple definition, of they're not full service.

Full service involves people. Consulting, recommendations, the ability to see, hold, play the stuff you're considering buying.

There is no full service e-Store.

That said - I think a lot of the full service is nonsense for me, and I shop nearly exclusively online - buying from a real store (WLA Music, Sam Ash or GC - in that order) only when I need something right this moment.

Most of the real gear (Cymbals, drums, microphones, etc.) I get off of eBay or Craigs. I'd never buy a cymbal or a kit or a tom or snare new.

For the rare new stuff purchase, I've found most of the stuff I need (clamps, stands, boom arms, etc, etc.) are all drop shipped from KMC in Ontario, CA.

It doesn't matter who I buy it from - the online retailer doesn't 'have it in stock' - the simply send their order to KMC, and my stuff ships from Ontario no matter who I buy from.

So now its just an arms race.

I don't need full service. I know what I want. It all comes from the same place. SO.... Who has the best landed price?

Its all about the price for me when we're talking online or eStore.

For me, its usually between Drumsonsale, Interstate music, or Weiss. They usually have the prices I'm looking for.

-Ken

www.drumfactorydirect.com always sems to have great prices and stock alot of the stuff i have needed, other thn that i usually do an amazon search and most times MUSIC123 comes up with the best price and they have a ebay store and well as one on amazon. Being from Canada I have to pay shipping but both places offer their USA customers free shipping so when buying alot of stuff like a full set of heads, etc, I will sent it to a friend in the USA and take it all out of its individual packaging and ship it to me in one smaller box.

My first choice among online drum stores is Just Drums. Owner Shane is a forum member. He and the staff are very knowledgeable and helpful, prices are reasonable. They actually have a store in Virginia (which I have not been to), so it is a full-service drum outfit with lessons and clinics and special manufacturer showcase events, etc. I have had great buying experiences, so when I need anything drum related, I check their site first. Here is a link:

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/

My first choice among online drum stores is Just Drums. Owner Shane is a forum member. He and the staff are very knowledgeable and helpful, prices are reasonable. They actually have a store in Virginia (which I have not been to), so it is a full-service drum outfit with lessons and clinics and special manufacturer showcase events, etc. I have had great buying experiences, so when I need anything drum related, I check their site first. Here is a link:

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/

COOL!

I've actually bought stuff from these guys.

Nice to put a name to a shop. Thanks!

-K

Thanks everyone, lots of good stuff to check on on those sites! Keep 'em coming!

Here's another that I found that I like:

Dale's Drum Shop, Harrisburg, PA
www.dalesdrumshop.com

Pros:
- Easy-to-navigate site
- Nice desriptions and write-ups
- Top e-bay seller rating
- Good selection of inventory, particularly complete drum sets, on e-bay store

Cons:
- No sound files
- Only "Specials" inventory available on website

Thanks everyone, lots of good stuff to check on on those sites! Keep 'em coming!

www.dalesdrumshop.com

Pros:
- Easy-to-navigate site

Cons:
- No sound files

Dale's is my hometown store! You won't find a better staff to deal with on an order or a question.

I just buy from who ever is cheapest. A 11 dollar remo head always sounds better than a 16 dollar remo head to me and I don't really have any loyalty to any store every one of them is trying to get as much money out of me as they can.

www.dalesdrumshop.com

Pros:
- Easy-to-navigate site

Cons:
- No sound files

I have been to many drum shops in my life - Dales is by far is the best - there must be 60 - 80 drum sets in their DISPLAY area plus hundreds of cymbals, etc. All of the staff there are drummers - and the prices are great. I can spend hours just looking around when I visit. Yes I do agree that the web site does not show a lot - just give them a call.

...agree on Dales....I am a few thousand miles away and they have helped me over the phone....great customer service and prices.

'll start - found this gem browsing e-bay:
Hazelshould Vintage Drums & Cymbals

I just bought a 1968 Ludwig Supraphonic Snare with Hazelshould Vintage Drums. Service was excellent. The owner answers any mail immediately. And the product... just incredible. His high definitión photographs allow you see everthing, to the last detail. His sound files make everything easy. And the product I received was just outstanding. Not a single pitt. Astonishing sound. Great service. If you like vintage products, and I mean great products, visit Hazelshould. You will not regret it.

Back