Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes?

Ok Pol....just for you, I'll concede high heels and flip flops (although WE know they're really called thongs, right Polly). I've seen a vid posted here on DW where a chick was rockin' it out in her heels.....can't find it for the life of me though.

I'm also willing to concede ski boots, diving fins/flippers, snow shoes and even mafia style concrete shoes..........I am however, still unwilling to cop that the entire Nike catalogue is no good on the pedals. :)

Flip flops *rolls eyes* ... I guess you had to say that or people would think you're talking about wearing g-strings on your feet :-\

I hate all forms of footwear on my right foot but I also concede that my kick technique is lame so I need all the sensitivity I can get. I was okay in the 80s - I could pull off Good Times Bad Times on a good day - but the long break affected my kick pedal technique more than my hands. Now I'd rather come across as a hippie gronk at gigs than sit there going booomp booomp booomp endlessly with a kick practice pad.

I am the DW Forum's technique antichrist :)

God bless anyone who plays barefoot or in socks, i just cant do it comfortably. I found that i like wearing my running shoes which are somewhat tight fitting. ASIC 2150's all the way! haha

Shoes help a ton for me. Playing barefoot makes my feet pretty sore but I know guys that will ONLY play that way. Sometimes it's surprising what works. I had some bulky skate type shoes that I ended up with at the gig sort of by accident and they ended up being really responsive and forgiving over hours of playing. I guess they were designed to use jumping down flights of stairs with a skateboard so that padding factor was seriously considered.

One thing I wanted to mention, for heel down playing a shoe with some sort of heel actually can really help. I was speaking with Jeff Hamilton and he says he will only play in a shoe with some sort of low heel (like a dress shoe I suppose). If you think about it, raising your heel created a more obtuse angle in your heel that relieves some of the tightness and helps with tendon/muscle relaxation. Sort of like sitting a little further away from your bass drum versus moving way up on to it. Makes sense to me...

i usually wear my square toed boots.zip up sides,wooden base with a dense grippy rubber bottom.theey keep my foot in the right place all night

I don't know i can't play as good without shoes, i play fast and i think the weight helps tap the pedal faster. i play heel up though, Maybe its just a personal preference

I think wearing shoes while drumming is stupid because it adds weight to your foot and your foot gets tired more easily.

Yeah? Seriously??

In that case I think that anyone who uses a 2B or 3A stick is stupid because they're going to tire out their arms and hands far quicker than one who uses a 7A.

Other than that, I don't know quite what else to say........I think I need a stiff drink and a lie down. :)

Yeah? Seriously??

In that case I think that anyone who uses a 2B or 3A stick is stupid because they're going to tire out their arms and hands far quicker than one who uses a 7A.

Other than that, I don't know quite what else to say........I think I need a stiff drink and a lie down. :)

This post literally made me LOL.

In bed...bare feet.

At home...socks.

Outside...shoes.

Drumming...magic power blaster drumming boots from the drumming gods.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

gravy1.jpg

Yeah? Seriously??

Hahahaha... you tell him man!

I was getting tired of this thread and wasn't going to read it anymore, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

http://www.michelinfootwear.com/shoe_details.asp?id=54&sect_id=12

I bought a pair of these in black (for driving my 280zx) and didn't like them at first. Though later I got to like them (they massage the bottoms of my feet which are still a little numb after a long stay in the hospital). Now I like them so much that I bought a second pair in brown. They are almost the only shoes I wear and they are great for druming (nice and light). The only place I know to get them is on line.

Shoes help a ton for me. Playing barefoot makes my feet pretty sore but I know guys that will ONLY play that way. Sometimes it's surprising what works. I had some bulky skate type shoes that I ended up with at the gig sort of by accident and they ended up being really responsive and forgiving over hours of playing. I guess they were designed to use jumping down flights of stairs with a skateboard so that padding factor was seriously considered.

One thing I wanted to mention, for heel down playing a shoe with some sort of heel actually can really help. I was speaking with Jeff Hamilton and he says he will only play in a shoe with some sort of low heel (like a dress shoe I suppose). If you think about it, raising your heel created a more obtuse angle in your heel that relieves some of the tightness and helps with tendon/muscle relaxation. Sort of like sitting a little further away from your bass drum versus moving way up on to it. Makes sense to me...

Skate shoes all the way bro. Usually, I drum all my gigs with just socks on. But one recent gig, I decided to use my shoes which are a a pair of Adio's. I drum metal and there are some pretty fast double bass parts that I thought I couldn't do with shoes, but they actually helped a lot. I don't know if it's the weight, or the momentum, or something. But it sure helped me get passes those bursts of double bass.

1st post of 2011, oh yeah... hah. i got a pair of the Nike 5.0's, they're super lightweight and hands down the most comfortable shoe ive ever owned. AND they're absolutely superb on the set. highly recommended!!!!

the only down side is that sometimes sneakers won't go with an outfit.. but pffftttttttt. :p

Last edited:
Back