Drinking and Drumming

At the place where we do most of our gigs, they give us only a two pitcher allotment of beer for the night. That ain't much when you have 10 people in the band. The band mates always get Bud Light, so I usually pass on drinking that crap. I call that stuff beer flavored sparkling water. I'm an IPA guy. I usually have to buy my own. so that keeps me drinking a lot less.

For me the effect wasn't always the same. Sometimes it would relax me, other times I'd struggle for control. Still, back in the day if you played in bars and didn't drink (and smoke etc) you'd be unusual. People tend to be a bit more careful today.

Former bass player would get smashed at band practice, learned all our songs drunk and had to be drunk at gigs to remember them.

The old saying "If you're gonna play fucked up, you better practice fucked up"

Reminds me of some of my DJ friends who could smash down two or three E's, couple lines of blow, even eat acid, then walk up on stage and play the most amazing set ever. Of course they'd also barely stop taking drugs during the rest of the week too.

I drink one or two beers or some whiskey before the show but usually don't continue during it. It's not that I'm afraid of a buzz inhibiting my play, it's just that when you're overheating, tense, soaked in sweat and reach for a drink, beer or mixed drinks don't feel that great going down.

My problem is that if I bring drinks onstage, I always manage to accidentally kick over one of them by the end of the set. Also I barely ever have time to take a sip of booze in between songs anyways.

My old bass player got really drunk before most gigs. He played great though and it was never an issue. One time there was a group of girls sitting at a table off to the side of the stage talking throughout the show (there were tables but this wasn't a sit down and chat sort of venue).

One of them got up to grab a drink mid song and he went over and stole her seat and sat their playing at their table. Cracked them up and they ended up dancing throughout the rest of the set. Not drinking he's super reserved and quiet so it's really funny to see him unhinged.

Back