Coated: Evan G2 or Remo Emperor?

Adam Bourque

Looking for some good Coated drum heads, that give me more of a punchy sound, especially for floor tom... I dislike too much ring, but don't want a dead drum.

Thank you!

SO? Evan G2 Coated or Remo Emperor Coated

For toms

ALSO WHAT IS DIFFERENCE IN GENERA EVAN G2 and NORMAL?

I've played both and I can tell you, they're not too different from each other. But I still stick with my theory that when my remos start to go, they go slowly, and then die. When the evans start to go, it's almost instantly. Since I'm not one to stock alot of new heads, I prefer the heads to die slowly until I can get around to changing them (not hard since there's alot of places locally around me that carry the stuff). Remos do that for me. Sorry Evans.

I haven't experienced any "sudden death" from any of the Evans heads I've used in the last 5 years... if anything I've been very pleased with the way the heads have aged and their sound has become richer as they break in.

There are almost no differences in thickness or construction of the G2 and the Emperor. The only differences you're likely to find are how each company chooses to crimp the edges in the hoop. Since you're unlikely to tighten a tom head to the point where it could potentially pull out, this isn't really any big deal. Some people say that there are differences in how coating lasts on Remo versus Evans heads, but I must say that I have never noticed an abnormally fast wear on either manufacturer's coating. In fact, my newest set of G2s has been on my set for three months now and looks nearly brand new.

G2 is actually short for Genera Two-ply. Genera is simply the name given to the "no-frills" type of head by Evans. Where you might see "Genera G2" in print, it's unintentionally redundant (like saying "SAT test").

Powerstroke 3. Friends of mine who use the EMAD don't like the fact that the foam rubber ring could get damaged, or you could lose it in transport. So these arepractical considerations, but they both sound great.

To me "instantly" could be a relative term. You know how heads start to die and you can always tune it to make it sound good? This could occur over days of medium-type playing. I just notice that when the Evans have finally given out, then there's nothing else to do but declare them dead and replace. The remos last a bit longer. That's more along the lines of what I meant.

I've never tried a PS3
but I have put the emad on several kicks
and it rocks my world.

The cool thing about the emad is that you have the option
of a thicker ring for a drier thump, the thinner ring
for a thump with more resonance or remove the ring altogether
for a more open sound - and you don't have to remove the head
to explore any of those tones.

The PS3 doesn't allow those options.

Evans heads just seem easier to tune to me, but the remo heads i use might as well be battle armor.

With remo heads, you gotta put some study hours into tuning. With evans you can basically read cliff notes and get by. This is my fallible experience, take it with a grain of salt.

Be it a last minute decision or not, i'd go with the G2's, but try for yourself.

Emads are heavily muffled, it kinda seems 1-dimensional to me. A powerstroke 3 will do anything you want and more.

But once again, these "what sounds better?" threads are subjective and opinional. Your taste isn't mine, and for that matter no one else's on this website. Find out yourself firsthand, rather than trying to validate opinions.

Although some of my drums and the church drums have some Remo heads, I am back to Evans totally. They tune up easier and stay in tune better. Peace and goodwill.

I'd go with Evans. They have more low end meat to me. I also don't see any difference in difficulty of tuning between brands.

I wouldn't count out the Evans EC2 SST coated. I like them, nice warm sound with enough punch. With that being said I have coated Aquarian Super 2's on the way! :)

My emperor's have sounded great, and I haven't experienced any sort of problems with them in the year I've had them on.

I've never experienced the "Instant Death Syndrome" either.

However, my Coated Evans G plus heads lasted longer than any other drum head I played...and they are about 1 1/2 years old and still going strong.

Has anyone found the CLEAR Evans G2's to sound clearer, and maybe a tad brighter, and not as "Plasticy" sounding as the Emperors?

Has anyone found the CLEAR Evans G2's to sound clearer, and maybe a tad brighter, and not as "Plasticy" sounding as the Emperors?

I don't know if I can say that, they do sound different though. I've actually heard people say they think the Clear G2s sound Plasticy compared to the Emperors.

Either way I do think the coating on the Evans seems to last longer than the coating on the Remos.

Back