Matt Cameron

Go check out Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi's solo album "Iommi". It's a real drummer's album with top name drummers like Aunsley Dunbar, Bill Ward (of Black Sabbath) and Kenny Aronoff. Every song has a different guest singer and musicians change from song to song. It's like Santana's "Supernatural", but in the heavy metal category.

Matt Cameron plays the role of the session drummer on the album and is featured in most of the songs. The music is heavy, but he remains true to his style. It's creative drumming and the fills usually have a "twist" typical to Cameron. Sound quality of his kit is amazing as usual.

My Yamaha Recording Customs

I agree with those who have said that his best work was with Soundgarden. That was when I really took notice of him.

Some fresh pictures from the NAMM Show.....

Attachments

• mattcamerondunnett1.jpg
    mattcamerondunnett1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 5,174
  • mattcamerondunnett2.jpg
    mattcamerondunnett2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,738
  • mattcamerondunnett6.jpg
    mattcamerondunnett6.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3,894
I looked at his bio on Bernhard's site and I'm still confused.

Did he play with Soundgarden from Bad Motorfinger (first major album) all the way to the end, or did he jump ship to Pearl Jam?

And speaking of Pearl Jam, how many freakin' drummers have they gone through.

I wish I could say Matt was either good or bad, but I don't know what is him and what is someone else!!!!

Any solos of his Bernhard??? I've always wanted to hear his playing outside of SG/PJ.

Stu_Strib said:
I looked at his bio on Bernhard's site and I'm still confused.

Did he play with Soundgarden from Bad Motorfinger (first major album) all the way to the end, or did he jump ship to Pearl Jam?

And speaking of Pearl Jam, how many freakin' drummers have they gone through.

I wish I could say Matt was either good or bad, but I don't know what is him and what is someone else!!!!

Matt joined Pearl Jam a fair while after Soundgarden broke up - in the meantime he put out an album or two by a band of his own called Wellwater Conspiracy which were, IMHO, a little on the dull side.

He was on everything Soundgarden did, they never played with anybody else.

As for Pearl Jam, this is what I can remember off the top of my head (there will be more!)

* Dave Grusin
* Matt Chamberlain (briefly - that's him in the video for Alive)
* Dave Abbruseze (sp?)
* Jack Irons
* Matt Cameron

So, if you want to play for Pearl Jam you clearly need a four-letter first name, and I'd put good odds on "Jack" as they seem to like keeping the number of names for the drummer down to a minimum and they've already had two of each of the others...

matt's the man. i'm with sween and yakbutter on his power and creativity. i like his phrasing, coz he's always throwing in something unexpected.

berlioz: thanks for the link, and i'm with ya on jesus christ pose. i saw them live in bethlehem, pa for the badmotorfinger tour, and when jcp came on, i felt completely overwhelmed and engulfed by the music. had horrible seats, and seriously considered diving down the two levels into the sea of moshers below. and that was before the drinking started! ; ) luckily, my buddy held me back.

i, too, was disappointed with wellwater conspiracy. there were undeveloped "moments of mattness" in there, but mostly it was lowkey retro-rock, imho.

would love to hear him in a jazz setting. wonder what was going down with him music-wise at namm. he looks ferocious, for sure!

lo ppl :) , i'm from north africa m / 27/ alger !!! & i'm matt cameron fan , i got 55 soundgarden boots . i listen music & drumm when i was 5 year ,i know & i got all famouse drummer music A / Z i really enjoy drumm . so i said matt cameron is the best drummer in world . foo cameron the ALIEN !!! ciao

Temple of the dog enyone?....

y0avz said:
Temple of the dog enyone?....

Yeah, how does that work? That was just Pearl Jam and Sound Garden smashed together, no?

finnhiggins said:
* Dave Krusen
* Matt Chamberlain (briefly - that's him in the video for Alive)
* Dave Abbruzzese
* Jack Irons
* Matt Cameron
some corrections...............

Stu_Strib said:
Yeah, how does that work? That was just Pearl Jam and Sound Garden smashed together, no?

To be exact... It was:
Matt Cameron (Soundgarden)
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)
Stone Gossard (Mother love bone,Green River, Pearl Jam)
Jeff Ament (Mother love bone,Green River,Pearl Jam)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl jam)

So happy of havin found a Matt Cameron Thread...
I think he's the drummer who deeply influenced my way of playing and my vision about drumming.
He's great groove, skill, technique, power, timing.
He's a perfect rock drummer in my opinion, he's also sofisticated and never cheap.
When he played with SG he used sometimes to overplay, drum parts are sometimes very intricate with odd times and uptime fills. Whoa that's great and absolutely into the SG mood!!!
PJ are the demonstration about maturity of MC. He gave up with SG and he's SG way to play and he "adapted" his way to play to PJ, more sober without overplaying but always with great taste, elegance and groove. I've seen him in Milan (italy) 6 years ago with PJ and that was like a spank in the face, so groovy and so perfect. Amazing!

About Temple of The dog: Consider that he played such things when he was only 22 or somethin.... incredible, i couldn't write such things neither at the age of 60... ehehe

se ya!

DAVE

www.myspace.com/maniacmansionmusic

www.maniacmansionmusic.com

I love Matt's playing. There's been one thing that's driving me mad tho.............. I can't seem to find a single video of his actual playing (solo, concert, whatever) can anybody fuel my addiction to this guy's playing?

i gree with davidrummer .....try to listen ....SUPERUNKNOWN ( the song ) live at sunrise musical theatre florida 28 .04 .1994 .....is best matt cameron performance ......if u dont have this song contacte me ....ciao a tutti C 'mon FOO CAMERON

i'm surprised no one has posted anything on matt, since pearl jam's new cd came out. if you're a fan of his playing i reccommend it. his best tracks are Marker in the sand, big wave, unemployable, and life wasted.

and breadmonkey, pearl jam has two dvd's out (touring band 2000, and live at the garden) that have a special feature called "Matt Cam" which is just him for a few songs with a louder drum mix. very cool stuff.

-brent

Back