Remo Ebony & Remo Ebony Suedes!!! Your opinion...

bearcat4life9432

I'm trying to be a little different than the rest and I want to try out these new Remo Ebony/Suede heads. I've played on them before at local Guitar Centers and really liked the feel of them and not so much the sound. The sound was bad probably due to the drums not being tuned properly. I play mostly Gospel and R&B and I'm hoping they would fit...Overall I think they fit my style but I want your opinion, from those who use them and those who have tried them out!!!!

I've played the Suede on a Snare before, dead sound, almost like it should have been a marching snare but wasn't tuned high enough. I could see the use on the toms, they last a long time and have a great feel, but don't put them on a snare. I went to the Onyx after playing because they are a good in between for 1 ply and Suedes.

I greatly dislike the attack of suede heads. It's a dull sound, and doesn't lend any 'spice' to the drum's character.

The Ebony style of heads are much deeper; one could describe them as the true 'fat' sounding heads, but Remo doesn't produce a coated ebony head, so their versatility is lowered relative to the regular coated heads.

I agree, however, that they feel great. I don't know what it is about them, but the way they play is very comfortable. My coated Emperors are comfortable too, but in a different way.

I think they'd fit with R&B pretty well, not so much gospel.

I really hope one day people stop using the word "dead" instead of... well... very controlled, which is what they are. A dead head wouldn't produce a tone. The hydraulics/ebonys do! I actually concur. I like them, but like other poster stated, they really don't do any favours for the characteristics of your drum. Use this if you kit... is... rubbish :)

Back