Maybe this is where the term "Kick" drum came from

That was badass!

I love his ideas! Could be the first double kick drum player?

A thousand thanks for that, that really made my day!

Ok that was awesome and impressive! Great find, thanks for sharing!

His right foot at 1:50 is amazing.

I have always loved this piece of film !

Thanks.

I met Mr. Astaire in 1957. He was a really nice guy. Of course I was only 7 at the time.
My Dad was playing drums for the movie Silk Stockings.

I love his ideas!
Me too, in fact, that could be the first solo in a long time that I can truly say I enjoyed!

I've talked with Michele Drees about Fred's drumming/tap association. She also mentions it in her recent interview with Drummer Magazine.

I met Mr. Astaire in 1957. He was a really nice guy. Of course I was only 7 at the time.
My Dad was playing drums for the movie Silk Stockings.

That is so cool it's off the cool scale. Wow!

I've talked with Michele Drees about Fred's drumming/tap association. She also mentions it in her recent interview with Drummer Magazine.

I find amazing that Fred Astaire is performing Michele Drees' Tap Project on his own, drums and tap dancing.

Amazing, and all in one take. A commenter on YT pointed this out but the camera just stays on him while he performs. No cutaways or anything. Oh by the way, in a tux too!

Just too much fun. I also really dug the low boy hats.

Loved it!

Great show of rhythm, timing, coordination and musicality.

Brilliant, delightful and, as ever, utterly charming. Thanks for sharing!

That was simply brilliant! I loved how creative and musical that was, thanks for sharing.

Amazing, and all in one take. A commenter on YT pointed this out but the camera just stays on him while he performs. No cutaways or anything. Oh by the way, in a tux too!

Just too much fun. I also really dug the low boy hats.

I remember hearing that Fred always insisted on that for all his numbers. The guy was an astounding talent.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if I made a comedy video of me trying to replicate that? I'd probably break my face on a drum. I'm sure that is so much harder than it looks. I liked it because Fred provided a pretty cool time capsule of the way drummers structured their fills back in those days. I mean a tap dance and a drummer are pretty close cousins, you can tell he absorbed stuff from drummers of the day.

That was amazing. Fred was a very talented guy.

There's a clip of Karen Carpenter doing something similar to the tune of "Strike Up The Band." She doesn't dance, but plays a multitude of percussion instruments beautifully. A lot of people don't realize what a good drummer she actually was.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if I made a comedy video of me trying to replicate that? I'd probably break my face on a drum. I'm sure that is so much harder than it looks. I liked it because Fred provided a pretty cool time capsule of the way drummers structured their fills back in those days. I mean a tap dance and a drummer are pretty close cousins, you can tell he absorbed stuff from drummers of the day.

Oh please Uncle Larry, yes, yes, yeessss, please make the video, pleeaase... :)

+1............now we have to see it Uncle Larry

Back