Anyone ever pull a gun at practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone in NC is taught (in order to get their CCW, legally), once you've consumed alcohol, you are no longer allowed to carry a concealed weapon. So the DD can carry one with no problem.

When I got my CC, the instructor threw the whole class for a loop. He asked us what the "legal limit" was for carrying a concealed weapon. People started blurting out guesses....".08".....".05"........".12".

Then after a short pause, he said "There isn't one." Basically meaning that if you're stopped by an LEO, if he so much as has a hunch that you've been drinking, you can lose your license. I don't go to bars these days anyway and I haven't actually carried a gun on me in years, but I would never in a million years combine the two. Pretty good deterrent, IMO.

Grea, I grew up here, obviously, and even I, as a Californian, was culturally shocked when I moved to the mid-west for a spell. That's all those guys were thinking about. Guns, guns, guns.

Lol I'm hearing you, Bon. I've run into guys like that online. When you think about all the beautiful and interesting things in this world to get into it seems odd.

I suppose the danger high levels of gun ownership poses provides some people with the kind of excitement and assertions of manly dominance our jungle ancestors had, which went missing with the red-wine-over-dinner generation. Definitely something primal going on ...

The problem with publicized 'gun free zones', is they are an advertisement to bring guns and do MAXIMUM damage.

Someone (much smarter than me) once said,~"There are three things in common with every firearm committed mass-murder:
#1 A firearm
#2 A person willing to kill (usually with a mental condition that lends itself to this act)
#3 Soft target (or area that firearms are not present or allowed)"

When thinking back - I can't disprove this.

Examples - If you wanted to do the most damage to civilization, would you take a gun:
a) To a school (no gun zone)?
b) To a library?
c) To a biker bar?
d) To a police station?

Would you take a gun to a place where guns are NOT prohibited or where they are? Some people point out that the shipyard tragedy was a NOT a gun free zone - but it was. It is a guarded gun free zone. So the shooter was able to neutralize the guard with a shotgun, then take and use that guard's pistol and neutralize other individuals. Why? Because it was guaranteed that nobody else had guns.

People with guns made these events stop. When did that fucker at Sandy Hook stop? When people with guns showed up. When did the nut at shipyard stop? When people with guns showed up. When do these events end? When people with guns show up.

Want to stop these events? Have people with guns there already, or at least the POSSIBILITY of having guns present. If you allow them, it may introduce enough doubt in the would-be killer to go somewhere else. Crisis averted. Want to risk your life? Try breaking in my house at 2am. Find out if I have any guns.

Shooting rampages are extremely rare, even though the media whip people in a frenzy about them. Your hairy-chested threat assessment is great for the extremely rare and sensational of case of a purposeful mass shooting, but not very relevant to the much more common Drunken Idiot Factor. In the latest round of mass shootings, the shooters fully expected to be shot and killed and they know that going in; the usefuless of other armed people is debatable when the shooter is on a suicide mission.

I encourage the establishment of mandatory-carry bars where there are plenty of drunken idiots ready to show their heroism by shooting every other armed drunken idiot. In such places, everyone thinks they are "a good guy with a gun" stopping a "bad guy with a gun." When the survivors sober up, they will find there were no "good guys with guns" involved, just other armed drunken idiots shooting each other over some mindless squabble. The fewer armed drunken idiots there are, the safer we will all be.

If anyone wants to mellow out and get drunk in the perceived safety of other unarmed people, there should be a place for them too. I guess they'll just have to take their chances with the incredibly rare event of a mass shooting in exchange for no Drunken Idiot Factor. Property owners can and do establish very effective gun-free zones and I encourage people to exercise their Fifth Amendment rights to prohibit or mandate guns on their property.

Last edited:
I agree with JasperGTR wholeheartedly. When you take away guns, the only people left with them are criminals. Oddly enough, no anti-gun advocates ever seem to have a good response to that. There are tons of statistics showing that more guns = less violent crime (or that less guns = more violent crime, however you want to see it). Look at Chicago's violent crime trends lately.

Anyone who claims that taking away guns will make themselves or their families safer has obviously not done their research. Unfortunately, them pushing for laws with ignorance means that I might be unable to protect MY family someday. It's terrible.

That being said, guns should only be pulled out if you are prepared to shoot. There was absolutely no reason for that guy to show his gun in practice. The entire idea behind concealed weapons is that you AREN'T showing them off. Stupid. That dude is the reason people hate guns so much. The only person who should know you're packing is your significant other, and maybe not even them.

If you are doing what you are supposed to, that gun should never make it's way out of the holster when not at home unless someone is trying to end your life.

EDIT: Also, a bar or anything other place that encourages drinking is not a place for your gun, legal or not.

Last edited:
As an Australian, I often feel sorry for a lot of Americans, who always cite the 'rights' about carrying guns but hardly ever do I hear about the responsibility.

Here in Australia guns were outlawed when some angry halfwit took out 35 people in Tasmania.

The population is dumbing dowm, and people are less educated, less responsible, more desperate and doing it tougher than ever. Allowing these people to have guns is ludicrous in my opinion.

I agree with JasperGTR wholeheartedly. When you take away guns, the only people left with them are criminals. Oddly enough, no anti-gun advocates ever seem to have a good response to that. There are tons of statistics showing that more guns = less violent crime (or that less guns = more violent crime, however you want to see it). Look at Chicago's violent crime trends lately.

I'm a gun owner and I do have a good response to that:

Lots of people should be prohibited from owning guns and/or having access to them, not just criminals. These include: mental defectives, violent people, men who are about to kill their families, men who are stalking women and children and people who want to wipe out dozens of people in a few minutes. In some cases, we can keep guns out of the hands of these people through better enforcement of laws or closing loopholes. In other cases, we can't.

Like the majority of gun owners in the US, I support reasonable restrictions aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, insane people, children, drunken idiots and people with violent histories. As long as the regulations are carefully written, fairly enforced and correctly targeted, they will help reduce gun violence.

Weapons are not toys! Weapons are made to kill, there is a thin line in between.

l
Want to setup the next tragedy? Make guns unavailable. There. Just go get some popcorn.

Numbers speak. Gun laws, and the statistics of these kinds of tragedies in other countries suggest the opposite of what you state.

But I fully understand the complexities of how 'arms' are embedded in the Constitution.

Shooting rampages are extremely rare, even though the media whip people in a frenzy about them. Your hairy-chested threat assessment is great for the extremely rare and sensational of case of a purposeful mass shooting, but not very relevant to the much more common Drunken Idiot Factor. In the latest round of mass shootings, the shooters fully expected to be shot and killed and they know that going in; the usefuless of other armed people is debatable when the shooter is on a suicide mission.

I encourage the establishment of mandatory-carry bars where there are plenty of drunken idiots ready to show their heroism by shooting every other armed drunken idiot. In such places, everyone thinks they are "a good guy with a gun" stopping a "bad guy with a gun." When the survivors sober up, they will find there were no "good guys with guns" involved, just other armed drunken idiots shooting each other over some mindless squabble. The fewer armed drunken idiots there are, the safer we will all be.

If anyone wants to mellow out and get drunk in the perceived safety of other unarmed people, there should be a place for them too. I guess they'll just have to take their chances with the incredibly rare event of a mass shooting in exchange for no Drunken Idiot Factor. Property owners can and do establish very effective gun-free zones and I encourage people to exercise their Fifth Amendment rights to prohibit or mandate guns on their property.
You may have missed the part where I was referencing LEGAL CCW carriers (in reply to your post about bars that allow CCW holders to carry in establishments). In this case, I'd agree, but please go back and reread the part where the idiot is defined as the person still carrying a weapon after the first drink is consumed. I think that is where our disconnect is.
Numbers speak. Gun laws, and the statistics of these kinds of tragedies in other countries suggest the opposite of what you state.

But I fully understand the complexities of how 'arms' are embedded in the Constitution.
Our country is relatively young, and founded on much different principles and times than other nations. There are different ethics and societal views. This is a whole other conversation, that DOES relate to gun violence, but I believe this is outside our current discussion.

As an Australian, I often feel sorry for a lot of Americans, who always cite the 'rights' about carrying guns but hardly ever do I hear about the responsibility.

Here in Australia guns were outlawed when some angry halfwit took out 35 people in Tasmania.

The population is dumbing dowm, and people are less educated, less responsible, more desperate and doing it tougher than ever. Allowing these people to have guns is ludicrous in my opinion.

Ah, yes. The good ol' "but they took our guns away in Australia and we're doing just fine" argument.

Well, good for you guys! But one thing that the Australians, Canadians, and Europeans continue to neglect time and time again is that your countries do not share the same historical and cultural ties to guns that the United States does. We've had guns since the very beginning. Our country was built by guns. And we've defended our homes and property with them ever since. Our law enforcement agencies rely on them on a daily basis.

It's not that your theory is a bad one, it's just that it's 150 years to late. If this dialog was happening way before the time of Samuel Colt and John Moses Browning, then maybe the U.S. would be like Aus, Europe, and the Canadians. But like I said in a previous post, that ship sailed for us a long time ago.

I encourage the establishment of mandatory-carry bars where there are plenty of drunken idiots ready to show their heroism by shooting every other armed drunken idiot.

That's unfortunate and very disturbing.

The rule to live by when it comes to guns is thus; If you pull out a gun then you should use it :)
Meaning, Don't pull out a gun unless you intend to shoot. Pulling out a gun for no reason is a foolish act.

I'm pretty sure that in most states, not only is it a foolish act, but it's also an illegal act - even (especially) with a concealed carry license.

We've had guns since the very beginning. Our country was built by guns.

And in the very beginning my country was a penal colony. It was built by bloody convicts. Should everyone here aim to grow up a criminal for fear of losing some misguided link to the past?

Last edited:
I'm just curious, but is there a reason that you probably would never own a gun? I know it is a personal decision, and have no problem with anyone's decision to own or not own a gun. But I do often wonder why that some people seem to not want to own one when they have no issues with gun ownership. Again, this is just curiosity.

It takes a lot to make me mad. When when I do.....

It's just best I don't have access to firearms. lol.

Why are we all denied the right to carry machine guns? Criminals have them so why does the interfering government draw the line at semi automatic weapons? The world would be a happier place if everyone walked around with an Uzi on their shoulder - especially undertakers and chiropractors ...

Why are we all denied the right to carry machine guns? Criminals have them so why does the interfering government draw the line at semi automatic weapons? The world would be a happier place if everyone walked around with an Uzi on their shoulder - especially undertakers and chiropractors ...

Uzi's? Lightweight namby pamby soft things.

This is more like it...

when_you_have_to_kill_everyone_in_the_room_card-r370c5d5523bf42d8b9cc4a028edd6a05_xvuak_8byvr_512.jpg

Or better still...even if it is slightly tricksy to carry concealed

GL_RPG_lg.jpg

I think each vehicle should come with an MP5 (or variant). Road rage? That will work itself out. You either stop driving recklessly, or you shoot it out with the offender/offended person.

Put them in every house - I bet unlawful entry, breaking and entering, theft, etc... will drastically drop off... I don't often bet, but when I do, I bet on guns.

The argument about guns and the US has no end. I don't think taking away guns will stop violent crime. People will then start killing each other with knives, baseball bats, cars.

There is one solution. Place nuclear bombs at every street corner and warn people that if their aim is bad, they die.

BWAHAHAHAHA.... Sorry. ;(

And in the very beginning my country was a penal colony. It was built by bloody convicts. Should everyone here aim to grow up a criminal for fear of losing some misguided link to the past?

I don't think anybody should neglect or forget their history, regardless of how ugly they might think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back