Limitations of Yamaha DTXplorer?

DrumCat6

I'm just getting back into playing drums. I have a Mapex acoustic kit,
but would like to get an Electronic Kit.

What are the limitations of the DTXplorer? If you were practicing on this kit, would there be things that you couldn't really work on, that you could on some of the more expensive kits? The DTXPress is a couple of hundred dollars more, but I could definitely wait if it is more beneficial to things that I could practice. I notice that the DTXPress has 3 zone pads for instance.

This kit won't be used outside of my practice space, but I just want to make sure I get the right kit. The price of the DTXplorer is great, but not if in a year I'm going to be wishing I spent a bit more as I progress as a drummer.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

If you think you would want multiple zone pads, then wait and get the DTXpress or DTX550...the DTXplorer is a decent kit, but it is limited on zones and also has fewer kits (to choose from) and less editing capability...ultimately the decision will be up to you...have you researched both kits, as far as features go...here are some links to the manuals for both kits

http://www.dtxperience.com/documents/Manuals/DTXPRESS_IV/DTXPRESS_IV_Owners_Manual.pdf

http://www.dtxperience.com/documents/Manuals/DTXPLORER/DTXPLORER_Owners_Manual.pdf

Personally, I like having multiple zones on all my pads (even if it's just for practice)..especially the cymbals (just more realistic sounding IMO)...but that's me...

Why would you practice on the dtxplorer? you said you have an accoustic so whats up.
I own dtxplorer but use it only during rehearsals it gets the job done. If your looking for an ekit that does what your akit can do then your sh** out of luck. None of them can do that as far as I'm concerned and I've played dtxtreme and td20. Anyway its your moola. If it were mine I'ld pick up a dtxplorer and with the extra cash buy something for your accoustic kit. If your seeking the holy grail in ekits you will go broke. just my opinion.

Back