favorite wood hoop snare

I was watching the groove is here dvd by steve jordan and i noticed he plays with a lot of wood hoop snare. I really like the sound of them. Also the ayotte keplinger snare comes with wood hops What is your guys favorite wood hoop snare.

Yamaha Anton Fig model. Great sound, precise crack. Love it.

I've heard and read Steve Jordan's Yamaha snare (the one you saw with the wood hoops) is also a super snare drum. Very versatile in terms of tuning range and musical application.

i own segmented walnut & maple wood hoops
they make the sound warmer and add a more wood like tone
only con is they dent easily

Don't fret the denting of the wood hoops. If properly made, this isn't really a con. What is happening is the "denting" is actually compressing the wood and over time actually makes the hoops stronger and rim shots and cross sticking will sound better in the long haul. So don't be afraid to give them good whacks now and then. :)

I have wooden hoops on my snare and the major con for me is mic-ing. Some venues I play use clip-on mics designed for the metal hoops so now I take my own snare mic (SM57) with clamp off hi-hat stand but its not biggy.

The sound is so beautiful. It is a fuller sound that I feel completes the drum in sound terms. The rim clicks are to die for, so much better than metal hoops. Love my wooden hoops. My snare is custom and therefore so are the hoops. They cost an extra £50 which isn't too much.

I would also say they are more versatile as another form of percussion (bit like a wood block).

Love them so much, can not recommend enough!

Don't fret the denting of the wood hoops. If properly made, this isn't really a con. What is happening is the "denting" is actually compressing the wood and over time actually makes the hoops stronger and rim shots and cross sticking will sound better in the long haul. So don't be afraid to give them good whacks now and then. :)

well thanks for that!
ill keep that in mind...

Back