Premier Genistas from the 90's: pricing advice

harrben

I think the time has finally come for me to do a bit of downsizing. My kit is crowded, and no matter how many times one of those floor tom legs bites one of my toes, I simply cannot successfully pull any of its members away for any sustained period of time. I've got them at my lake house, which is small enough as it is. So, I'm thinking I'll replace them with another acoustic kit that has a smaller footprint.

I love these drums! I've had them for almost 20 years. The reason for my post is to (hopefully) glean from you cats some advice on where I should price them. I've done a little poking around online and, is it just me or, has Premier all but abandoned the drumset business (especially the high-end lines) for orchestral and marching band stuff? Apparently, no more Signia line, but it looks like they're now offering the Genistas in maple!?! Furthermore, my memory is not what it used to be, but their price tag seemed to be a good bit lower than what I recall shelling out!

Anyway, enough fiddling around, here's what I've got:
22 x 18
10 x 12 rack tom w/ RIMS
12 x 14 rack tom w/ RIMS
16 x 16 floor tom
16 x 18 floor tom
14 x 7 snare (thunderous!)

Now, no matter how many pains I've taken over the years to keep these things from getting beaten up, they are far from pristine. The bass drum has borne the brunt--its top (from the bottom of the rack toms) and its wooden hoops. Also, the bass drum legs are crap--truthfully, all of Premiere's hardware is crap, in my opinion! With the exception of the post that fits into the bass drum and holds the two ball-jointed, articulating rack tom arms, however, I've still got it all. Those plastic balls are marred and brittle, and using a pair of channel locks is necessary to get it tight enough so that the vibrations from playing doesn't cause the arms to droop, but it's here. I'm not using it; I'm using hardware manufactured by others. Most of that, however, belongs to my brother. But, my bass drum is supported by a little structure that I made years ago. As a general contractor, it's often easier for me just to design and build exactly what I want instead of wasting hours trying to figure out if someone else makes it, what it's called, and where I can find it. The bass drum is cradled from underneath by a concave piece I cut from a sheet of 2-inch thick foam (extruded polystyrene), to promote resonance. Plus, it's lifted off the ground so that the bass drum beater lands in the center of the batter head (I have since realized that those "lifts" have grown in popularity), but it's also angled slightly upwards (resonant end higher than batter) which provides a mechanical advantage to my liking. One thing that my much-loved contraption lacks, I think it's safe to say, is aesthetic appeal. So, I guess it's a good thing that Premier still offers bass drum legs for its Genistas...at least, that was still the case when I checked their website last night.

So anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Any ideas as to what I should list this kit at, will be greatly appreciated! Also, if I can provide any more explanation, clarification, or photos, just let me know. Thanks!

Top 10 Reasons for Procrastinating:

Attachments

• 2018-06-20 11.19.23.jpg
    2018-06-20 11.19.23.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 2018-06-20 11.15.33.jpg
    2018-06-20 11.15.33.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 172
I was doing research on some of the mid to upper line Premier kits from the 90's and there was one theme among former owners. The majority of them regretted selling them.

If you absolutely need to unload them you might want to try the Premier drum group on Facebook for advice on price.

Keep the bass drum the 12 rack tom and the 16 floor tom and see if you can sell the rest. Tough to do but you won't be losing all of your memories.

Considering that this post is almost a year old, I suspect that whatever the op decided to do has already been done!

Nonetheless, I would love to have that kit covered in White Marine Pearl!

GeeDeeEmm

Great kits these. I am missing my Artist Maple kit which I regret selling :(

Back