'..ur playing need more punch..'

agatho kornelis

yaa, i got those words few times . at first i thought it was my technique, but still i got it again after i tried to improve on the technique ... and it left my wandering and i am not quite liking it ... so, i'm hoping i could get some advice from u guys here ..
thanks all, hope to hear from u all soon ..

grooovee!!

Are we talking about the elusive quality know as oomphf?

Using slightly bigger sticks would improve "PUNCH".
Hitting slightly harder in a relaxed way would also raise one's "PUNCH" level.
Making sure you hit the drum dead center utilizing the aforementioned elements would also
further "PUNCHIFY" your drumming experience.

record yourself so that you can judge for yourself.

people don't always say what they mean and they don't always mean what they say. trust your own ears :)

The only gig I ever got fired from was because of this. In that situation I was playing an 18" kick jazz kit trying to play in a band with two marshall half stacks and an 8x10 bass rig.

In that situation I don't think anything I could have done with that kit would have made me able to compete with the volume of the other guys in the band. I got a bigger kit with a 24" kick and started using bigger sticks.

There are times when the issue is the listener. The singer in my band switched to in ear monitors for a while and had nothing but his vocals and guitar in his monitor mix and would yell at me for "loosing the beat". He just couldn't hear.

Back