Vintage Multi-Shine Drums?

I'd get them. 125 is cheap. The wood looks interesting. Some guys LOVE their Jap stencil kits. The wood IS nice and aged by now, so it has that going for it.

For that price, I'd get them. They could be a steal if they sound cool. You could unyellow the wrap and make them look killer for about 30 dollars with homemade peroxide gel and sunlight, it's easy, I did it. You don't even have to take off the lugs.

Too bad it's missing parts. It would be a project kit. Bearing edges might be nicked too.

I had a Jap stencil kit as a kid and would love to hear them now just for laughs, that's probably why I'm for it lol. The wood does look interesting to me though.

They did the straight grained thing well before John Goode lol.

I'd get them. 125 is cheap. The wood looks interesting. Some guys LOVE their Jap stencil kits. The wood IS nice and aged by now, so it has that going for it.

For that price, I'd get them. They could be a steal if they sound cool. You could unyellow the wrap and make them look killer for about 30 dollars with homemade peroxide gel and sunlight, it's easy, I did it. You don't even have to take off the lugs.

Too bad it's missing parts. It would be a project kit. Bearing edges might be nicked too.

I had a Jap stencil kit as a kid and would love to hear them now just for laughs, that's probably why I'm for it lol. The wood does look interesting to me though.

They did the straight grained thing well before John Goode lol.

Funny, that's exactly what I found appealing was that photo of the tom without the head - the wood looks like mahogany. I may check them out and offer $100 or less depending. If the shells are in decent shape, they may make for a fun tear-down-rebuild project. Fill holes, new wrap, new hardware etc...
Could be a long winter and this will give me a fun project to work on. I have the ability to cut bearing edges myself so I'm wouldn't hesitate to turn these into something cool.

I remember a thread similar to this one and a guy came on and really stuck up for the tone of those old Jap stencil kits. The conviction he had kind of swayed me. I'm curious to hear how they sound, I thought they were crap in the 60's and 70's but I sucked really bad too and didn't understand anything about tuning drums.

If you can pick them up locally, even better, no shipping. Seriously, the wrap can look like it does near the edges, you can fix the bearing edges, get some hoops, rods and heads, a little elbow grease on the hardware, blammo, a cool kit with vibe for well under 300.

Or a wrap, if you don't mind spending the bucks. As long as the wood doesn't come off with it, it is old and stfuf has a way of becoming one with it's surroundings over time.

I have to say, I never heard of Multi Shine drums and a google search yields this thread, that's it.

But they intrigue me, they don't just look like firewood.

I have a stencil kit. I got the drums for less than $100. My first set I finished in 2012 and I still use it for practice with my garage band. It's concert tom 13 & 16 with an amazing sounding 22X14 bass drum. I think they're made from Luan wood, which is also called Philippine Mahogany.

I'm pretty happy with them. They cost way more to wrap than they're worth. I ended up investing around $400 into the kit with heads and new 2.3mm hoops. I'm sure that I couldn't sell them for $100 even if I wanted to.

I have another MIJ kit to build too. This time I bought the wrap from sparkle drum wrap dot com, but I don't think that address is available anymore. Here's a e-mail address in case you're interested....Dennis Coggshall <[email protected]> . They're super cheap!

I have a stencil kit. I got the drums for less than $100. My first set I finished in 2012 and I still use it for practice with my garage band. It's concert tom 13 & 16 with an amazing sounding 22X14 bass drum. I think they're made from Luan wood, which is also called Philippine Mahogany.

I'm pretty happy with them. They cost way more to wrap than they're worth. I ended up investing around $400 into the kit with heads and new 2.3mm hoops. I'm sure that I couldn't sell them for $100 even if I wanted to.

I have another MIJ kit to build too. This time I bought the wrap from sparkle drum wrap dot com, but I don't think that address is available anymore. Here's a e-mail address in case you're interested....Dennis Coggshall <[email protected]> . They're super cheap!

Thanks man. Great info!
I've been building a small jazz/bop kit slowly as time and funds permit. I cut down a 20x20 kick to 20x15" and plan to wrap it. I have plenty of snares and plan to add a couple of toms. These MIJ drums may just see this kit through :)

Just read that there are some tension rods and hoops missing (and heads).

Try to talk him down to $75...although it says "firm."

Too bad there's no floor tom. Should be some nice, warm sounding drums. Snare might be un-usable. MIJ stencile snares were not very good, but you say you have plenty of snares. Getting a floor ..... a 14x14 will be pricier than a 16x16. Might have to pay upwards of $100, for a floor. I had an old 14x14 Star, and it wasn't a bad little drum. You can find some info. on MIJ drums, here http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/index.html

Back