Home made cymbal substitute?

Yeah, just like mom used to make. Here's the background for my question: I live in a small flat and have my Sonors with mesh heads set up for practice. No volume issues with the neighbors. But I need something to whack in place of real cymbals. Perhaps old, cheap cymbals covered with foam or cloth or something, but I thought I would ask for ideas. I don'r need to hear them at all...only feel them. And they must be silent. Lemme hear those suggestions!

Thanks,

Phil

I used to drape old t-shirts or towels over my cymbal for practice. Poke a hole in the middle so you can secure it on the stand and it won't fall. The hi hat had two: one in between the two pies, and one on top. Hope that helps.

I used to drape old t-shirts or towels over my cymbal for practice. Poke a hole in the middle so you can secure it on the stand and it won't fall. The hi hat had two: one in between the two pies, and one on top. Hope that helps.

It does help and I appreciate it. A few years ago, I used egg-carton foam for the same purpose but, the fool that I am, threw it away.

How's the music scene in Houston? My daughter lives in Dallas, but sadly, she's not into catching local bands. Typical kid...all she wants are the big names.

Its decent. All the "drummer wanted" ads on craigslist are almost always Country or some form of Metal, which is boring. But I've seen some very good singer/songwriters and local bands. I don't go out to sample random bands very often, so I'm not intimately familiar with the scene, but I've been very impressed with the few venues I go to.

I use the plastic practice cymbals they sell at Cascio Interstate Music.... they are nearly silent in the next room (kind of a muted "thwokk"), yet rebound just like a cymbal and have good playability. They are also really cheap (fifty bucks can get you a whole set), and they last forever. Because, you know, they're plastic.

Google shopping for "plastic practice cymbals"

Alternatively, if you have some old frisbees, you can poke holes in the middle of those - very similar feel, just not quite authentic shape.

Back