bass drum to floor tom

simian drunk

Anybody have experience converting a bass drum to a floor tom and if so what was your opinion of the transformation? I want a 20 inch floor tom but it seems to be cheeper for me to buy a 20 inch bass drum then to buy a 20 inch floor tom. I figure someone has to have tried this before. Thanks ahead of time.

I've never done it myself, but I'm sure it can be done. But how much is the cost difference between a bass and a tom that size? Because to convert a bass you are going to need new hoops, new heads, new lugs, and need to attach some legs to get it off the floor. Then it will probably have tom mounts you will need to remove and cover, and spurs that will also need to be removed leaving behind holes.

Are these things you are considering?

Todd Sucherman uses a bass drum as a tom. He mounts it by leaving the tom mount in, flipping the drum over, then attaching that to a clamping stand. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

-sheldon

Can you modify a snare stand to be able to accommodate a 20" drum?

Todd uses a gong drum. If you can make a floor tom in to a bass drum then you can make a bass drum in to a floor tom. Buy three legs and three leg mounts and drill three sets of two holes for each. Done

Better question - is there enough room for something that big?

Back