GMS SL Series Jazz

bfrancese

Hey guys

Did a quick search + didn't see much on this drum kit. I'm a rock player mostly, but have started playing a good bit of blues and jazz again as well as playing in much more smaller clubs with an intimate feel.

Hence, looking at a smaller jazz type configuration. I've seen the specs + talked to Barry at Indoor Storm (I fortunately live right down the street from the shop) and he suggested this kit: GMS SL Series Jazz.

It's a gorgeous looking kit. Higher price point than the Catalina kits but comes with stands. I'm losing a few stands to sell a kit, so wouldn't hurt to pick up some with a kit. Onto my question:

Anyone on the forum owned or played this kit?
Thoughts on sound?
Thoughts on durability + tuning?
Thoughts on playing this kit out frequently? (will it hold up to the road basically - I protect all my drums, but you seasoned roadies know what I'm talking about here).

Thanks for any advice + cheers to the forum. It's always a helpful place!

-Brent

I don't own a GMS kit yet, but I have taken a close look at them and I liked what I saw and heard!
I recently became interested in small kits also. I bought a Pearl RT and a Tama Stagestar.
I want to move up a notch so I am currently looking for a used GMS SL Jazz.

Have you seen the Subway Kit?
I really like that one also. I may upgrade my pearl RT to the Subway if I find one used. http://www.drumworld.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=9422&review=write

Last edited:
I bought a used GMS CL series bop kit and I love it! It sounds great and it's as durable as any kit out there. It's not quite the same animal as the SL but it being an upgrade to the CL, I think you'll be happy.

The only thing I didn't like was the GMS bass drum mount, so I swapped it out for a Yamaha mount (fit perfectly) w/ the Yamie tom mount.

I bought a used GMS CL series bop kit and I love it! It sounds great and it's as durable as any kit out there. It's not quite the same animal as the SL but it being an upgrade to the CL, I think you'll be happy.

The only thing I didn't like was the GMS bass drum mount, so I swapped it out for a Yamaha mount (fit perfectly) w/ the Yamie tom mount.

Nice to know about the mount. It looks like it could be a pain. I do have a rockstar mount I could use in exchange which is flexible.

For anyone interested, I've ordered this kit from Barry @ Indoor Storm. May have it by Friday or Monday at the latest.

Review to come!

-b

Hey guys

As promised, here's a quick review of the GMS SL Series Jazz in Natural with a few photos to follow.

Finish - Beautiful - richer + darker than the stock photos. Super impressed.
Sound - The drums are very tunable, making them versatile for blues + rock as well as jazz. Good for me since I'm mostly a rock player. But onto the heads...
Heads: Not so hot. It comes with stock Evans UNO heads + I'm going to replace with Remo Vintage A's most likely + maybe an EMAD on the bass drum, but I was impressed with the kick + snare sound. Both punchy + the snare cracks well. I don't tune too high so the snare is going to work well for me. Barry @ Indoor mentioned being extra careful if the snare was going to be tuned high.
Hardware: Not super durable. One of the stands was actually broken upon opening one of the boxes. Looked like the leg just snapped right off. I've never seen this before. But the bass pedal + high hat stand are very nice. The snare stand is versatile, but doesn't look like it will hold up on the road too long. Throne isn't great either, but this isn't a pro level hardware kit.
Overall: This is a solid kit + the sound is drastically better than the Catalina Clubs (I played them side by side + there is no comparison). And you are getting all Birch shells + a hardware pack for just a few bucks more than the Catalinas. It was worth it to me. I'd recommend, but we'll see how they do on the road. I intend to swap out some of the hardware for some old Tama hardware I have on the road.

And jazz players or even rock players like me looking to downsize should give this kit a serious look + hit up Barry @ Indoor Storm. A great dude + was very reasonable with me. Hope this helps.

4408868747_ed894289c4.jpg

4411269409_4a62394826.jpg

Congrats on the new kit!
To bad about the hardware and skins but at least they're replaceable. That finish is definitely better than the matt stain on my CL's.

Thanks for your review.

Have to buy a new set very soon (for my second home) - and this is one of the models I am interested in.

Would very much be interested to know whether you are still happy with your purchase, and whether you've had any further problems with the hardware.

Patrice
Vic Firth & Vater & Zildjian sticks
Playing with:
Ooh & The Ballyhoo
Roland Blum
Bone Clone
TP

Back