Roland acoustic trigger problems

Togg

I have recently purchased two triggers the RT 10 series the Kick and the snare.
I am using them with a Roland TD 6V (which I know was designed before the triggers were)

I am having issues with the snare trigger firing when the Bass guitar is playing on stage.
I have tried adjusting the sensitively and even putting moon gel on the rim of the snare to try to stop it resonating so much, however the thing still goes off all the time

Have been told I should try putting the moon gel under the sensor of the trigger directly on the head... not tried that yet, but seems a bit overkill? surely the trigger can be adjusted not to fire with simple resonance from guitars?

Any ideas or experience of this?

I am using a Ludwig wooden snare btw

Cheers
Togg

You have to isolate your snare drum from the vibrations the bass guitar is making. If this only happens on stage it is probably coming from vibrations in the floor. You can try using those isolation pads made for floor tom legs on your snare stand. Supposedly they stop the transfer of energy between the drum and the floor.

If that doesn't work you try turning up your threshold in the trigger settings, but on something like a snare drum, I wouldn't do this first. You will lose a lot of ghost notes and have inconsistent triggering.

IMO you don't want to put moon gel under the trigger, like Tommy said you need to turn up the threshold of the trigger in the td6... the td6 doesn't have the triggers listed but I am fairly sure it has the old triggers listed, choose those then get the bass player to play extra loud during a sound check and gradually turn up the threshold until it stops triggering... then play some quiet hits yourself to check how loud you have to physically hit the drum to make it trigger.... also make sure you have followed the instructions on setting the amount the foam is "squashed" down...

failing that call Roland support.... they will help you.

G

I am having issues with the snare trigger firing when the Bass guitar is playing on stage.
I have tried adjusting the sensitively and even putting moon gel on the rim of the snare to try to stop it resonating so much, however the thing still goes off all the time

Wrong parameter. Sensitivity is a performance parameter, not a control parameter. Your Threshold setting is simply too low, and the module is interpreting vibration on the drumhead from the bass amp as intended activity. Just increase the Threshold until it stops, the only problem you'll run into is if the bass amp is so loud that it's causing the head to vibrate stronger than your own lower playing dynamics. This isn't likely, but just be aware of it.

You have to isolate your snare drum from the vibrations the bass guitar is making. If this only happens on stage it is probably coming from vibrations in the floor. You can try using those isolation pads made for floor tom legs on your snare stand. Supposedly they stop the transfer of energy between the drum and the floor.

Total overkill. With an acoustic trigger on a real head, it's not floor vibrations, it's outright airborne volume. The head is vibrating in sympathy with the bass guitar notes. Just increase the threshold.

If that doesn't work you try turning up your threshold in the trigger settings, but on something like a snare drum, I wouldn't do this first. You will lose a lot of ghost notes and have inconsistent triggering.

I would do this first - it's exactly what the Threshold parameter is designed for. The vast majority of Roland false-triggering problems are caused by the factory-default thresholds being far too low for piezo-based triggers. For piezo-based systems, the Threshold should be set as high as possible without interfering with your playing. Start at zero, go up to 1 - check your playing, is it coming through OK? Yes - go up to 2, recheck etc etc. When you get to (EG) 10 and the module starts to drop your lightest ghost notes, then go back to 9, which will be the correct setting for your setup and playing style.

Back