Defining moments in music

African slaves adapting their music in the New World

The Spanish and Portuguese generally let their slaves make and play indigenous instruments, unlike the more uptight English and American slave traders and owners. Jazz probably never have evolved if American slaves would have been allowed to keep their native instruments - the influence of the original African music would have been too strong to permit something as radically different as jazz to evolve, so I think.

Let me see if I can add a few.

1. Sing sing sing- Gene Krupa
2. West side story suite- Buddy Rich
3. When the leavee breaks/Moby Dick- John Bonham
4. Purdie shuffle- Bernard Purdie
5. 50 ways to leave your lover- Steve Gadd
6. Don't stop Believeing drum track- Steve Smith
7. Brother to brother-Mark Craney
8. Moving Pictures- Neil Peart
9. Hot for teacher- Alex Van Halen
10.The police- Stewart Copeland

Pythagoras, around 400 B.C.
Agreed, I'd say this is probably the biggest one if we consider the last few thousand years... For european/western culture at least.

Before that, the invention of drums, the beginning of organization/categorization.

-> Ray Manzarek - The Doors, who wrote and played the basslines on a keyboard bass, keeping it melodic and precise.

-> Rock N' Roll a mixture of Blues + Boogie Woogie with tempo.

-> Myself, for the first time playing the drums:
It's a long way to the top (if you wanna rock n' roll) and Live Wire...AC/DC - High Voltage.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I didn't know that.. Geometry, Math.. I thought that was the Greeks & the Arabs..respectively..?

The Vedic tribes were dabbling in this type of geometric cosmogony hundreds of years before that. My Indian philosophy teacher in college argued that the Greeks got their diatonic scale from the Indians, and that the imperfection of musical mathematics resulted in the necessity for the creation of the gods. If music, or anything were perfect, there would be no need for a god.

There was a lot written back in the 70's about the Vedic tribes, and some authors even argued that they made their way even to Ireland. So in that sense, the roots of western culture are Indian, not Greek. That's why our languages have Sanskrit roots.

When people were started becoming concerned with lyrics and videos rather than what the music sounds like.

Not really a good thing.

-> Ray Manzarek - The Doors, who wrote and played the basslines on a keyboard bass, keeping it melodic and precise.

-> Rock N' Roll a mixture of Blues + Boogie Woogie with tempo.

-> Myself, for the first time playing the drums:
It's a long way to the top (if you wanna rock n' roll) and Live Wire...AC/DC - High Voltage.

Cheers,

right on mate that Vox Continental he played sounded amazing

When Tony Iommi crushed one of his fingertips here in my hometown, Birmingham.

Actually he cut the tips off his fingers middle and ringer fingers the last day he worked at a sheet metal factory. He was just set to join the band. So rather then give up guitar, he made little plastic tips for his fingers, used a lighter sting and de-tuned down a third to e flat. That down tuning is considered to have given Black Sabbath a darker more sinister sound. Now everyone is drop tuning down to d and c.

Last edited:
November 20th, 1969: James Brown and his band, including Clyde Stubblefield on drums, recorded "Funky Drummer" at King Records studios in Cincinnati, Ohio. The song helped lay the foundation for hip-hop, rap, and drum 'n bass, and has become one of the most-sampled pieces of music in history.

Back