The Stooges and still no Rush.....Really???

T

TFITTING942

Does anyone have any real notion as to why Rush is not, and probably never will be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame? I don't get it.

I find the whole rock an roll hall of fame to be a bad joke.

There are numerous articles out there detailing how even though there is supposed to be a board that decides, that all actual decisions come down to one single person, who decides on her personal taste, and nothing else. The list of "rock" bands who've not got in is huge compared to the number of pop acts that are inducted.

Even the museum itself is not all that great. It's like $20 to get in, and they barely have more than the average Hard Rock cafe on display. But they spread it out, and add a lot of fluff, so they can claim it's 3 floors of memorabilia on display.

Yeah, I mean really its a joke to me. Just like the grammys or any other clown award. Rush is in my presonal music hall of fame, and many others too. Thats where it really counts, reaching people, not being revered by the so-called establishment.

Abba in, KISS.....not in...hmmmmmm

The Stooges are true originals and should be there, but KISS.....what you think man? It's called THE "Rock and Roll" HOF not the pop hof. ABBA......poopy doopy hoopy woopy yah yah yah!

"LONG LIVE ROCK"! (be it dead or alive) The Who

K

Are touring + active bands ineligible to be inducted? Maybe that's why?

Abba in, KISS.....not in...hmmmmmm

The Stooges are true originals and should be there, but KISS.....what you think man? It's called THE "Rock and Roll" HOF not the pop hof. ABBA......poopy doopy hoopy woopy yah yah yah!

"LONG LIVE ROCK"! (be it dead or alive) The Who

K

ABBA 140 to 500 million records sold, depending on the source
Kiss 100 million sold
As for it being a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, somebody better tell Run DMC. Rap. Just not right.

Does anyone have any real notion as to why Rush is not, and probably never will be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame? I don't get it.

Yes and King Crimson should be in, no doubt. But Rush not being in the RRHOF is crazy. The revolutionized the power trio.

I don't get it either.

The R&RHoF is paranoid of Prog-rock bands. I heard sometime, somewhere their reasoning about their "anti-progressive rock" stand. But it's not worth giving them anymore publicity about this outrageous omission from their entity, than it deserves to have.

Personally, I believe they give Rush MUCH more reason to have them included due to the outrage of other bands, acts, and the general public who know that they deserve to be recognized.

How can you justify having "rap" and "pop" acts in there and leave out acts like Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Kansas, etc...?

That's why the R&RHoF has VERY little merit to me and a whole lot of others. They make themselves look foolish and will continue to do so as long as prog-rock is left out of the balloting...PERIOD.

Maybe cos it's a hall of fame and not a Best Of - in which case, best by what standards?

What are the attributes of great music? Non-musicians don't care about technical prowess unless it's super-showy. They are usually looking for a synergy between the vocal line, the backing music and the lyrics.

I've long loved King Crimson because they always produce the most unique, varied and jaw-droppingly good band sound of anyone. Sonic heaven. However, there's no way they compare to, say, The Beatles or ABBA when it comes to creating a synergistic mix of vocal line, accompaniment and lyrics. No contest. As a rule, prog band lyrics tend to be naive, irrelevant and/or pretentious.

It depends what you're looking for. A lot of people don't want to be challenged because they use music for relaxation and background so they don't care for prog, which can be challenging and is an acquired taste and, really, not FUN like, say, ABBA or The Stones. No, prog is made for us serious young insects - our exclusive club :)

+1

Do they really want to be in it?

Prince, Blondie, Madonna.

LOL - enough said. The committee or person that runs the RRHF is an embarassing joke to all musicians and I seriously doubt they are musicians themselves - probably just self proclaimed "artists" who study the pop charts and memorize old issues of Rolling Stone and Circus. Nice job guys and gals, I'll bet the next section added will be devoted to Elton John's glassses. Maybe they will start serving buttered popcorn and bubble gum at the entrance. Why don't they just rename it the Pop Music Hall of Fame and save us all a big lie?

Last edited:
Chicago, if for nothing else but their music from the 70's. I don't thing Blood, Sweat and Tears is there either.

Nat King Cole ... Miles Davis ... Louis Armstrong ... Bob Marley ... Joni Mitchell ... Dusty Springfield ... ABBA ... James Taylor ... great artists but they ain't rawk n roll!

I think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has a much looser definition of "Rock and Roll" than most musicians.

Exactly, and it's called Pop Music. Speaking of pop............Iggy Pop............Iggy Pop before Geddy Lee......................I still have to digest all this craziness.

Last edited:
It's really sad, I do think Iggy & the Stooges deserve it but there's like you said no Rush and then there's Kiss,Deep Purple(come on),Grand Funk Railroad, Yes,Stevie Miller,Joe Walsh,Humble Pie,etc. I could keep going
& then I see ABBA,Grandmaster Flash, & The Moonglows (who are they?)
in the Hall of Fame.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was est. in 1986 and didn't. induct Led-Zeppelin until 1995 & Black Sabbath in 2006.

IMO The typ. rock & roll musician dosen't. vote on the inductee's which is also sad because a lot of white-collar karaoke singing suburbanite's are voting which is destroying the Hall IMO.

I live approx. 120 mi. from the Hall of fame and have no desire too go there because of this.

I've ranted long enough LOL

Bonzolead

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1966,00.html

I am a veteran music journalist who spent two years on the Hall's nominating committee and saw from the inside some of the politics at work.

"I saw how artists were sometimes chosen for nomination because of their affiliations with the directors of the Hall and others were shot down without so much as a moment of consideration simply because some people in that room didn't like them personally or because an artist had bad blood with someone calling the shots.

"At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist.

Another trashing by a long time music critc who used to be a voter:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/14/DDBITBMBD.DTL

Search the net, there are tons of articles slamming the hall for being fixed, or chosing bands for political reasons over importance

Back