Chiptune Music - Anyone ever hear of it?

RollingStone000

Silver Member
So I've spent a good amount of time on tech sites and forums and blogs, etc lately. And one of my favorite sites, Engadget, does live broadcast type shows (in an auditorium). During these shows they have a musical guest to finish off the evening. However the music that is being created by these folks is coming from hand held gaming devices like a Game boy or a Nintendo DS (they use a whole host of gaming related equipment). It's kind of hip, apparently a decade or so ago a guy in Europe wrote a program that he loaded on to a game cartridge and it allowed him access to all of the device's hardware settings, from there he was able to screw around with it and make some melodies using the components of the gaming device. Now some of the forum patrons probably won't like it, and I would imagine it being regarded in the same context of samplers in hip hop (which I can agree to a certain extent). That being said; if you've EVER even heard the sounds from a gaming console take a look at the link below. It's a fellow by the name of Maru on the streets of Japan. It's only about a minute long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWNNpp8Xds

@BassDriver: Yeah, I don't doubt it one bit. I think I recall hearing video games sounds in music around the late 90's or so (I'm sure its been done prior to that as well). Although the cool thing, in my opinion, is that they're actually using the device itself, not a peripheral of some sort. They've essentially hacked it and are now using software of the system and all of it's internal hardware components to create stuff.

It's a very nerdy thing. The thing I've come to realize since spending several months on the tech forums and sites is that the, "I want to do it, just to do it" mentality is big. "It" being hacking their stuff, to put Ubuntu Linux on a PS3, or jail breaking/rooting phones and the like. I read about one guy who made a garage door opener app for his phone. It was a really interesting thing, but then you started to read about all of the added hardware associated with being able to open and close it over IP protocols, it was really going out of the way to do something that's already been done and commercially viable (electronically opening a garage door). But again, kudos to the, "because I can", mentality when it comes to little things like this.

Back