The Bonham set thread

Hello everyone, I have a few questions about the Ludwig kits.

I ordered my green sparkle in Bonham sizes a few weeks ago, but can someone tell me what the standard front bass drum head is that they deliver with bassdrums?

And I also wonder if Ludwig still sells those bassdrum front heads in WHITE :)D) with the SMALL, MODERN (so not vintage like Ringo Starr) Ludwig logo on TOP, as seen on John Bonham's bassdrum in Royal Albert Hall 1970 (Led Zeppelin dvd) & the picture that is attached.

Thanks in advance guys
Greetz !

Attachments

• Bonham 13.jpg
    Bonham 13.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,805
Last edited:
In response to your question Crydevil, no they don't still make them. I believe they stopped making those a while ago, now they just use the bigger labels, which I'm sure you will agree are just plain ugly. However, you can buy a sticker online somewhere, most likely ebay. The one you want is 1"x6", not any bigger. I believe it's the size used on Bonzo's '69-'70 Natural Kit.

Hope this helps you.

Levee Breaker

Last edited:
Or, you can download a pic of the logo, send it by email to your local sign shop, and they will print on for you without a background, just the letters only. (it comes on a template for lining it up, then a removable backing peels off, leaving just the letters) (about $12.00)
I've done this with a Sonor and a Yamaha logo, and it looks like factory.
Cheers
Phil

I dig that set bro.....I recently bought a Gretsch Club Rock set on a whim. I like it but can't decide what heads I like. I've switch the g1's to pinstripes....I'd like something in between. Actually the small tom sounds pretty good with the G1's but the floor toms are a little boingy. The pinstripes deaden the floor toms a little too much. Lucky I got the 18" pinstripe for 5 bucks. Are those clear emperors on the tops of your drums?

Someone had mentioned starting "the best Bonham set" thread. I guess its really hard to say any one is the best, when they are all relatively the same, and all loved by their owners. But it would be cool for everyone whose got a Bonham setup, to post a pic of their kit here. So here we go...
Bonzopurple.jpg

While I love looking at Bonham kits, I cannot get comfortable playing on one. Ergonomicly its not very practicle. I would much rather two toms up front and one floor tom. Truth be told the perfect setup is three up front with two floor toms. Then you can pull off anything.

Levee Breaker. That is such an impressive kit! Why would you want to see that go?

I dig that set bro.....I recently bought a Gretsch Club Rock set on a whim. I like it but can't decide what heads I like. I've switch the g1's to pinstripes....I'd like something in between. Actually the small tom sounds pretty good with the G1's but the floor toms are a little boingy. The pinstripes deaden the floor toms a little too much. Lucky I got the 18" pinstripe for 5 bucks. Are those clear emperors on the tops of your drums?
Been a long time away from here, sorry for the LATE reply. The heads in that pic are the factory Ludwig medium clears. I switched to coated emperors on top of coated ambassadors a long time ago. They are not as bright as the clears, but I prefer the coated. I haven't used pinstripes on this kit yet, I probably won't, I like'em just the way there are now.
Newpic2.jpg

While I love looking at Bonham kits, I cannot get comfortable playing on one. Ergonomicly its not very practicle. I would much rather two toms up front and one floor tom. Truth be told the perfect setup is three up front with two floor toms. Then you can pull off anything.
You know, I felt the difference when I first got the kit, going from smaller 2 up, 2 down toms to this kit. It was more of a spatial difference, these things are huge. Now, I don't notice, it feels very comfortable.

The old 28 is gone now, I have a much better kit now with a nice 24 which sounds just as fat if not more so. I'll post pics and details soon guys.

i noticed someone had bough a new classic maple set with the blue and olive badges. are they really new or vintage. if theyre not vintage how do you order them?

Would this qualify despite only having a wimpy 24"?

Attachments

• vista madness 013.JPG
    vista madness 013.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,475
Here's the new kit, i hope the images work, even though they aren't the best pictures, you get the idea.

SPECS

DM Drums in Gold Sparkle Finish, with Gold Tube Lugs
3 ply Birch Shells with Rings

24x16 Bass complete with homemade "ritchie ring" on the front head and Ringo-esque Bass Drum Anchor
13x9 Rack Tom with full length tube lugs
18x16 Floor Tom
14x6.5 Ludwig LM402
13x7 Limited Edition Mapex Black Panther in Honey Amber Birdseye Finish

CYMBALS

All Paiste 2002

15" Sound Edge Hats
18"Medium
24" Ride

Hardware

Ludwig Speed King Pedal from the 60's
Premier hihat stand
Premier 4000 boom stand
Mapex 550 Straight stand
Big Dog Deluxe Throne

Heads

Remo Coated Emperor Batter with a Coated Powerstroke 3 Reso which i made myself :p
Remo Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors on Toms
Coated Emperor over Ambassador Hazy on the 402
Coated Ambassador over Ambassador Hazy on the Panther

Stuff Not In Use

6" Cowbell
Paiste 2002 22" China (It's a beast)
Jam Block
Various stands

Not exactly Bonham but it's fairly close, and i don't wanna copy him exactly anyway.

In the future, I'm looking at getting a dw rail mount and a cymbal arm for the bass drum, and a matching 16x16 Floor Tom, but anyway, I'm loving the kit at the moment, and I think it sounds amazing.

Attachments

• DSC00050.jpg
    DSC00050.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 3,247
  • DSC00055.jpg
    DSC00055.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 3,254
  • DSC00049.jpg
    DSC00049.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 3,245
  • DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 3,223
Been a long time away from here, sorry for the LATE reply. The heads in that pic are the factory Ludwig medium clears. I switched to coated emperors on top of coated ambassadors a long time ago. They are not as bright as the clears, but I prefer the coated. I haven't used pinstripes on this kit yet, I probably won't, I like'em just the way there are now.
Newpic2.jpg

Good on ya for honoring the master!

Bonham means 26 kick, 13, 14, or 15 rack, 16x16 18x16 14x 6.5....period.
Any thing else is just one up, two down.

Wow, it's been quite a while since I last posted on this awesome forum... :D.
Guess it's the exams and stuff...
But anyway, I thought I'd post my Bonham kit here as well, which I've been having for a few months now.

Sizes: 26x14, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16
Cymbals: Paiste 2oo2's (22" Ride, 20" Ride, 18" Medium, 15" Sound Edge)
Hardware: Ludwig stands, Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand

I'd again like to thank 'ludwigvondrumcrazy (LVDC)' for this.
Alot of stuff on the kit, like the RC and the resonant Bassdrum-head for example, wouldn't have been possible without him...
Thanks man !

Attachments

• My Ludwig 1 (edit).jpg
    My Ludwig 1 (edit).jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 3,323
  • My Ludwig 4 (edit).jpg
    My Ludwig 4 (edit).jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 5,826
Wow, it's been quite a while since I last posted on this awesome forum... :D.
Guess it's the exams and stuff...
But anyway, I thought I'd post my Bonham kit here as well, which I've been having for a few months now.

Sizes: 26x14, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16
Cymbals: Paiste 2oo2's (22" Ride, 20" Ride, 18" Medium, 15" Sound Edge)
Hardware: Ludwig stands, Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand

I'd again like to thank 'ludwigvondrumcrazy (LVDC)' for this.
Alot of stuff on the kit, like the RC and the resonant Bassdrum-head for example, wouldn't have been possible without him...
Thanks man !

I LOVE this kit. Green sparkle is a great finish for this kit...looks regal !!
and with the 2002's...super sweet.

Bonham means 26 kick, 13, 14, or 15 rack, 16x16 18x16 14x 6.5....period.
Any thing else is just one up, two down.

if you want to get really technical with it, the cymbal sizes and locations, cowbell placement, hi hat tambo, and speed king kick pedal should all be correct too...

This is the reason I haven't posted pics of my kit as I play it now. (1 up, 2 down)

I love the comment about halfway through this thread that's something like "i'm pretty sure bonham didn't play axis pedals." I laugh out loud every time i read that.

Makes you wonder though... if the man was still with us, what would he be playing? Would he still prefer the classic bonham setup? would he even be playing ludwigs (woah, did i just say THAT?) It's fun to think of bonham playing a 18" kick, 10 and 12" toms, a couple of snares and a DW 9000 double pedal... maybe that's just me.

Back