Steve Maxwell gives a little history lesson

While I recognise Steves expertise,and knowledge on vintage drums,we all make mistakes sometimes,myself included,but not in this case.From 76 on,Ludwig drum shells were in fact 6 ply,but they were NOT all maple.They were a hybrid of maple/ poplar,just as the early 70's shell,but re rings weren't necassary because of the amount of plys and shell thickness.The first all maple ,American made drum shell were the Rogers XP-8.

Sorry if this ruffles any feathers,but there is substantial info,some from Ludwig themselves ,that bear this out.Sorry Steve.

www.vintageludwigdrums.com/70stimeline.html

Steve B

I also believe that the fist all maple ludwig shell wasn't until 98 with the 9 ply?

Around there.Ludwig produced the Classic maple and the Classic birch.The Classic maple had gold keystone badges and the classic birch had silver keystone badges.

Surprised I'll not catching more flack for my comments....:)

Steve B

I think what he was referring to was the change from mahogany/poplar to maple/poplar in that reference. Although I may be wrong.
Either way it's cool.

I'll not catching more flack for my comments....:)

You're wrong Man! Don't you sully Steve's good name...uh Steve Maxwell, not your own good name...

Steve, we all hold you as the Luddy expert here so none of us have the nerve to question you. You could probably tell a complete outright lie and it would take us all a couple of days to question it.

"Um Steve, you sure that the Acrolites were made with carved ivory lugs and Zebra skin heads? I looked all over and couldn't find anything about that."

I remember seeing a rather heavy Luddy maple shell once. Did they ever go thicker than a 7 ply shell? Would an older luddy shell pair well enough with a modern CM tom?

Well like you said, this doesn't change that Steve is the man. Just human....

+1...Steve is most definately the man.The guy has drums in his DNA,but even experts make mistakes sometimes,and as you said,we're all just human,and that's why they still put erasers on pencils.:)

Steve B

You're wrong Man! Don't you sully Steve's good name...uh Steve Maxwell, not your own good name...

Steve, we all hold you as the Luddy expert here so none of us have the nerve to question you. You could probably tell a complete outright lie and it would take us all a couple of days to question it.

"Um Steve, you sure that the Acrolites were made with carved ivory lugs and Zebra skin heads? I looked all over and couldn't find anything about that."

I remember seeing a rather heavy Luddy maple shell once. Did they ever go thicker than a 7 ply shell? Would an older luddy shell pair well enough with a modern CM tom?

I'll have to dig out my catalogs,but in the mid to late 90's and afterwards, the super classic shells were 4 ply,and the classic shells were 6 ply both maple.The classic birch line was introduced later in the 90's.I'm pretty sure they went with more, but thinner plys for a short time,but again,I'll need to check my catalogs.

As far as sound,the shell thickness would affect the resonance,buy with a smaller drum say 8-10 inches,the diference would be negligable I think,especialy in a live rock setting.Andy would know for sure.

Steve B

I have a Ludwig catalog from 1975 ish and I'll take a look at that too.

The 75 Ludwig classic line were completey different shells than the late 90's.2000 era..Pre 76,post mid 68,Ludwig shells were 3 ply maple/poplar/,maple with maple rerings.Around 76 Ludwig introduced the 6 ply maple poplar shell,without rerings,which was heavier than the 3 ply shell.Those 75 or 76 classic shells bear no resemblance to the all maple or birch classic lines of later years,except for the classic lugs.

Steve B

I'll have to dig out my catalogs,but in the mid to late 90's and afterwards, the super classic shells were 4 ply,and the classic shells were 6 ply both maple.The classic birch line was introduced later in the 90's.I'm pretty sure they went with more, but thinner plys for a short time,but again,I'll need to check my catalogs.

As far as sound,the shell thickness would affect the resonance,buy with a smaller drum say 8-10 inches,the diference would be negligable I think,especialy in a live rock setting.Andy would know for sure.

Steve B
I bought a super classic set back in 1989/1990 (sold them long ago). Would those have been maple/poplar? I ask because I always thought they were maple/poplar.

Back