Pre-Amps / Mixers

drstrangefunk

i'm looking for a good pre-amp for drums and other instruments as well as vox.

i'm thinking 10-12 inputs, but that may not be necessary if mixed to stereo beforehand - in which case, i guess 2 channels would do.

i know that some like the Peavey PV-10 as a mixer, but does it work well as a pre-amp ?

and what are some good two channel pre-amps ?

thanks.

Peaveys are good. Peace and goodwill.

I really like my Allen & Heath

For low end, the Yamaha MG mixers are nice. I have one small one. Also have two Allen & Heaths (Mixwiz and a GL) which sound noticeably better. A friend has an APB Dynasonics that sounds noticiably better than my A&H, or the Soundcrafts I've used. From there it gets really expensive. Have not used the new Midas but the old Venice low end ones were killed by the APB.

Bo, how do you think the PreSonus stacks up against the Yammie? Have you played with the new automated Behringer/Midas thing?

Bo, how do you think the PreSonus stacks up against the Yammie? Have you played with the new automated Behringer/Midas thing?

PreSonus makes a board that competes with the O1v? And no, I haven't played with the automated Behringer/Midas console. Is it big? Got a model number? I avoid brands with the name "Behringer" in them, so it'd be interesting to see what they've done with Midas. Just that my company has a deal with Yamaha and I've seen and gotten a chance to play with most of their professional consoles and loved the original O1v, the -96 is even better.

Personally, I own Mackie stuff for my little PA rigs and those work out great. I have to keep telling myself that the noise I hear is actually normal because that's just what you get with analog/old technology mixers anyway. And Yamaha's MG boards are a little disappointing from a build standpoint. I know they sound good, but plastic? Really?

thank you all for the replies.

are these good as pre-amps ?

Yeah, I thought the PreSonus StudioLive was after the 01v market. Cheaper but a more current design electronically. And the Bheringer (I stay away from this junk too) X32 is supposed to be a co-design thing with the Midas division they bought out. Also a digital board it's supposed to be more navigable than earlier things like the 01v.

Yeah, I thought the PreSonus StudioLive was after the 01v market. Cheaper but a more current design electronically. And the Bheringer (I stay away from this junk too) X32 is supposed to be a co-design thing with the Midas division they bought out. Also a digital board it's supposed to be more navigable than earlier things like the 01v.

The PreSonus looks promising, well both do, but that Behringer is 3K. I'm all for simplfying the process of mixing, and those 01v's are pretty dang confusing in the beginning. But, I will say this for Yamaha, if you learn the 01v pretty well, you've basically trained yourself how to run all of their consoles up to the PM1D. I think Yamaha's M7 is the only one that's a little different because it has a touch screen, so rather than hit the 'select' button to affect a channel, you just touch the screen of what you want to manipulate. It's actually a little easier. But it's nice seeing other companies come out with stuff that makes the job easier, I'll have to check them out at NAMM this year so I can see them in person. It's exciting!

I would not go with stereo in, your stuck with whatever mix you get.

There are a few things to consider, what are you,oooking for? A mixer, preamps, control surfaceor a combination of these.

What is your budget?

I went with a TASCAM DM4800 and added some outboard gear for color /mojo

But that is just me.

Som what is you long term goal for the gear and again, what is your budget?

Back