Ludwig Legacy 5x14" snare - help needed!

Svyatoslav K.

Hello friends!

I have problem with setting strainer and snare wires on my Ludwig Legacy Classic 5x14. I purchased Puresound Custom 16-strands snare wires to replace the stock wires which I don't like.. Also I got Ludwig snare cord (the orange one) and decided to try stock Ludwig heads.

The first problem with snare wires. When I hit the drum I hear the strands are buzzing after the stroke.. I know this is normal when the wires adjusted loose, but in my case the snare wires are buzzing after stroke no matter how tight or loose the strainer tension. Also when the drum is laying on the surface with reso head facing up, the snare wires touching the head, and when I put the drum on stand or just hold it in hands with reso head facing down the snare wires are hanging slightly off the head! I'm sure this is the cause of buzzing! The wires are centered and not skewed. looks pretty even.. I tried to check the snare bed and didn't seen it. Without the reso head, laying on the kitchen table with the light source inside the drum and can't see any slight curves where the snare bed is supposed to be.. I can't believe Legacy snares don't have snare beds.. Anyone who have Legacy snare, please confirm about snare beds on these drums. So maybe the buzzing which I described related to lack of snare beds?

I remember when I had Gretsch Full Range 5x14 Maple snare, it has pronounced snare beds, so when you tuning the reso head you can hear the pitch is lower in those areas. And what is strange, this Gretsch snare also had the same buzzing after the stroke, the same very slight hanging of the snare wires off the head..

What is it? Maybe the drum is warped, out of round, or, or..?

The second problem with P85 throw-off.. No, it's not stick between on and off position, I've totally solved it (By spraying WD-40 into the mechanism). When I disengage the strainer I see the room between wires and head is not enough, the wires touching the head constantly during playing and rattles bad.. Another bad thing that mechanism stretch the snare wires not so effectively, I mean that I need to tighten it up to maximum to achieve that "slap" and "pop" type of response which adds fatness to any snare drum.

So, what is wrong with the snare wires? Why the snare wires hanging very slightly off the reso head and buzzes after stroke? They are new and looks even, not warped or anything.

What about p85? I use snare cord and tried mylar straps and grossgrain ribbon, all the same - not enough tension, strainer not so effective..

Any help, friends, please.. I really don't know what's wrong, maybe it's the drum or maybe my set up.. I wouldn't to sell this instrument, I need to do things right..

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I would keep trying different things, make sure the bottom head is nice and tight and in tune. Install the snares with the strainer adjuster loose, does it fix the problem? No? Try the adjuster medium tension, try it all the way tight, etc.

If you have a different drum to try the snares, give that a shot, maybe it is the snares themselves. Does it buzz with the old snares? It is frustrating, but sometimes patience is key.

Good luck!

I would keep trying different things, make sure the bottom head is nice and tight and in tune. Install the snares with the strainer adjuster loose, does it fix the problem? No? Try the adjuster medium tension, try it all the way tight, etc.

If you have a different drum to try the snares, give that a shot, maybe it is the snares themselves. Does it buzz with the old snares? It is frustrating, but sometimes patience is key.

Good luck!

Yes, I tried to crank and loose the strainer but despite the snare wires response I always hear this buzzing after every stroke.. No matter where I hit the batter, in center or not, after this I hear flabby buzzing for a while..

Unfortunately, this is my only snare drum and I can't try snare wires on anything else.. But I tried stock wires and Gretsch wires with this drum and they buzzing too..

Maybe because the stock reso head is thin as a Remo Diplomat I need to crank it even more? But why the snare wires is hanging off, any ideas?

But why the snare wires is hanging off, any ideas?

Doesn't sound like you've put them on properly. If the wires are loose no matter what the tension of the strainer is, then they need to be re-attached. I'm wondering if you're leaving the strainer disengaged when you're attaching the wires. Take them off and start again with the strainer engaged. Use the tension screw to make fine adjustments when you're done.

I'm wondering if you're leaving the strainer disengaged when you're attaching the wires. Take them off and start again with the strainer engaged.

I tried to attach the snare wires with the strainer disengaged, but I always thought it's right, not.? Okay, I'll try to attach the wires with strainer engaged.

This is my first Ludwig snare, and first P85...

I tried to install the snare wires with the strainer engaged and it definitely make a difference!

But what is strange to me is that the strainer still don't fully disengage the wires when it's in "off' position.. When I play the drum with strainer "off" I hear the wires are slapping the reso head. Or the reso head slapping the wires, don't know exactly what it is.. But I hear flabby rattling snares instead of clean drum tone.

It is a common issue with P85 - not fully disengage the snares, or it's in my set up again?

It is a common issue with P85 - not fully disengage the snares, or it's in my set up again?

I wouldn't call it a "common" problem. But after trying it again and encountering the same problem, there is a fair chance you may have an issue with your particular strainer. Are you able to take it into a drum store and have somebody take a look at it for you?

Back