NICE RACK

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hey everyone, Bernhard just updated my page with some new pics and vids so check it out here at drummerworld if you feel like it. The second picture down is a picture of my new custom kit. I set up my rack a certain way if you can notice from the side view. I only mount my cymbals from it and was wondering if anyone else did that. Just wondering.

Just checked out your stuff on the updated page Joe, some really nice confusing funk going on there. Great!

As for your rack, I really don't get the benefit of only using it for your cymbals. I have a 2 sided rack, & everything gets mounted on it (individual snare & hat stands though). I don't especially favour kick drum mounted toms, & I don't see the point in separate tom stands when you've got all the adjustment in the world available on the rack. My rack helps me to keep my stage footprint down and reduces hardware transport & setup time. Here's my setup.

Attachments

• CIMG5105-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG5105-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 334
  • CIMG5102-Optimized-Optimized-1.JPG
    CIMG5102-Optimized-Optimized-1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 330
I ran a Pearl DR-100, for 15 years, and never hung a rack tom from it. Since I was a 1 up, 2 down kinda guy, I always kept my 14" on a snare stand. But the rack, yeah, held anywhere from 5-11 cymbals.

The only reason I would use a rack is to hold cymbals, as certain positions with certain cymbals with certain stands(RUDE Mega Power Bell ride on a flimsy Mapex boom stand isn't gonna cut it) aren't such a good idea. It'd increase flexibility as well.

I wouldn't really use it for toms, I'm more of a stand guy. Holding a floor tom on a rack is just silly. Floor toms are so amazingly simple to set up I'd want at least two in a set-up if possible.

Wow KIS that is a nice kit! I noticed the Sabian Choppers, do you get a lot of use out of them? I have always thought they were cool but i don't know if I want to buy one one day.

That is a nice looking kit keep it simple. Looks nice and tight. I envy you for being able to use 3 across the front. I can't do that. I tried with my newest kit and it just pushes my hi hat to far away from me.

I mounted my toms from my rack for years but I never really liked it. Everytime I hit a cymbal or a tom I could hear either one of them ringing. Even having my toms mounted on my bass drum of course I get vibration but I don't get any where near as much cymbal over tone. Hey what ever works. I like that the way my rack is set up know I can plug it into any drum set. Any kit I use I can easily put my rack in with no adjustment. I use 4 different kits almost every week so I guess that's why its important to me. I don't have any shots of it from the back but if you check out my sound check video here at drummer world you can really get a nice shot of the set up. Here is a pic from the front somebody took of me.

Attachments

• JOERACK.jpg
    JOERACK.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 293
I mounted my toms from my rack for years but I never really liked it. Everytime I hit a cymbal or a tom I could hear either one of them ringing. Even having my toms mounted on my bass drum of course I get vibration but I don't get any where near as much cymbal over tone.
Ok Joe, I see where you're coming from. When you mounted your toms on your rack, were you using lug suspension mounts or the classic tom bracket? With the classic bracket, I can imagine a transferred sympathetic resonance issue.

BTW Migaluch, I use the chopper in funk stuff, almost as an anti cowbell, if that makes any sense. It's off the kit more than it's on. Great little white noise effect though. Really cuts through. I don't use EQ1 heads anymore either. Too dead. I'm back to trusty G2's for live. G+'s are working out well as a studio batter.

Sorry for the slight hijack Joe.

nice kit.. I prefer bass drum mounts because I really enjoy the feeling of the drums talking to each other. The isolation of a rack is too much for me.

Ok Joe, I see where you're coming from. When you mounted your toms on your rack, were you using lug suspension mounts or the classic tom bracket? With the classic bracket, I can imagine a transferred sympathetic resonance issue.

BTW Migaluch, I use the chopper in funk stuff, almost as an anti cowbell, if that makes any sense. It's off the kit more than it's on. Great little white noise effect though. Really cuts through. I don't use EQ1 heads anymore either. Too dead. I'm back to trusty G2's for live. G+'s are working out well as a studio batter.

Sorry for the slight hijack Joe.

I was using suspension mounts. I didn't really change because of vibration I was having set up issues and I use so many different kits I wanted something I could plug into each drum kit easily. So this is what I came up with.

I was using suspension mounts. I didn't really change because of vibration I was having set up issues and I use so many different kits I wanted something I could plug into each drum kit easily. So this is what I came up with.
I see the advantage with a number of kits sharing the same cymbal setup. Lovely finish on your kit pictured BTW.

Back