Mystery Hat Stand and Tama Swingstars

robthetimekeeper

Hi All!
Can anyone tell me anything about this hihat stand? It is missing the foot pedal.
Also, does anyone know about these Tama drums? The badge says Made In Japan and the serial number starts with 84-. Is that the year? They have chrome bass drum hoops. Inside is coated with granitone looking sealer.
I bought them to get the snare. I don't know much about Tama. Aside from being dirty, they are in good shape. Also got the floor tom (not pictured). What would be a fair asking price for the Swingstars alone?
Sorry about the photo quality and please ignore my dirty rug!
Thanks!!!
P.S. Ckeck out the sweet bass drum pedal that came included. It's missing the part to clamp it to the bass drum so somebody attached it to a piece of plywood!

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 771
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 326
The Tama swing star is without a doubt mid-80's.

84 to 88 if I recall. There were no real differences in those years to make it anymore specific.

They are not worth much to be honest.

The hi-hat stand looks like a made-in Asia knock off.

+1...Those swingstars could only be 84 because of the red badge,and box type lugs.They were only made for 1 year like that,and in 85,they had the black "flying T" badge,so mid 80's is right.

They aren't rare or collectable,but they don't sound bad

They and Beatstars were Tamas entry level drums and were zolocoated which was Tamas name for resocoating.

If you get 200-250 in this economy with those Xtras(Tamas name for power toms),I think you'll be lucky.

That hi hat stand ,like DrumEatDrum said ,looks like an Asian copy of a particular model of Rogers or 80's Tama stand.Both used those type of wing bolts,and both had swan legs like yours,but they were single braced,not double.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys! I just sold the swingstars for $250! This is a true G.A.S. success story. I paid $140 for all, swapped the blackrolite for an old CB700, and resold them for a profit. Not only did I get rid of gear I didn't want, but I got a nice black galaxy snare and $100 for very little effort! Gotta love craigslist!

Back