Soundproofing: Turning Living room in practice room

bearblastbeats

So, I'm starting back band practice up at my house to avoid the ridiculous cost of renting a space to jam. We used to play in the basement of my house, but now we want to start playing in the living room since, well, we don't use it for anything anyway.

I used to book DIY punk shows at the house so it's really not an issue, but I do want to be a little considerate to my roommates (who have no problem with this to begin with).

I going to duck tape my couch cushions to the windows, but I want to dampen more of the sound from going to the upstairs.

Does any one have some cheap suggestions?

The room is roughly 13x13 with wood floors, one wall with bay windows.

These kinds of questions come up every day.

Yes, sticking the couch cushions in the windows will help. A little. Maybe like turning a guitar amplifier down half a number.

Seriously folks, real "soundproofing" is an expensive and sophisticated endeavor. Architects and contractors who know how to do it effectively are hard to find and not cheap. There is so much bad internet advice floating around out there it's not funny. From the old egg cartons and mattresses to expensive multi-leaf, rubber gasket, QuietRock constructions that aren't much better.

Seriously folks, real "soundproofing" is an expensive and sophisticated endeavor. Architects and contractors who know how to do it effectively are hard to find and not cheap.

Indeed. "soundproofing" is actually a ridiculous term in the first place, at least as far as many peoples budgets will allow.
My solution is quite simple >> turn the amps down, and play quieter.

A) You'll be able to hear each other
B) You'll be able to hear if it sounds good or bad
C) you won't have to have the vocalist extremely loud

If you have thousands to spend on materials and know a good builder, and are mathematically inclined, then I've got some more concrete recommendations, if you'll pardon the pun.

Back