Band drama

Polite option 1: This band isn't going in the direction I signed up for, and this is not what I want to do. Bye.

Polite option 2: Discussion with all of the band. Discuss whether you want to play covers (to entertain) or original songs (to 'educate' audiences). The second is generally harder to get gigs.

Not so polite option 3: You're a deluded bunch of losers with no talent and an appalling case of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and I'd rather sit in a darkened room sticking rock splinters into my eyes than carry on with this representation of the ninth circle of hell. See ya!

(Only wrap it up a little nicer, because you don't know how the future will pan out.)

It's all Danny Kruger's fault..

Polite option 1: This band isn't going in the direction I signed up for, and this is not what I want to do. Bye.

Polite option 2: Discussion with all of the band. Discuss whether you want to play covers (to entertain) or original songs (to 'educate' audiences). The second is generally harder to get gigs.

Not so polite option 3: You're a deluded bunch of losers with no talent and an appalling case of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and I'd rather sit in a darkened room sticking rock splinters into my eyes than carry on with this representation of the ninth circle of hell. See ya!

(Only wrap it up a little nicer, because you don't know how the future will pan out.)
Love it. Thanks for the advice.

A member of the band has been hinting at me not keeping the beat and honestly I think it’s him;not me. We’ve gone toe to toe with a metronome before and I’ve been right.

I notice that many musicians do not keep steady time, their tempo varies throughout the song. I think it comes from their practicing alone and without a metronome.

They are not necessarily bad musicians. Sometimes the tempo change sounds good, but it is troublesome for the rest of the band.

Do you continuously check the app and thus make micro adjustments, whether conscious of it or not, or do you refrain from looking at it untill the song is finished? I haven't used it, but if it displays the whole song as a graph, it seems to me the latter would be a more accurate assesment of how good one's timing actually is.

Yes, don't cheat. Look at it after songs and see how you all did. '

Truth is...I do both.

The former, more for rehearsal; I'll make 'micro adjustments' (I like that term) as we go if needed. I'm trying to ingrain the tempos in my head, so I'll refer to the app frequently to see where I'm rushing or dragging, then note where the adjustment 'feels' to me.

I've only used it a couple of times in live situations, and there it's really just sort of to assuage my curiosity: how close do we come to perfect in a live situation? Are there any songs in particular that I need to work on? I feel a little tense; is it being reflected in my playing? That sort of thing - more of a study tool than anything. I think in a live situation, you've either learned your part or you haven't; trying to make adjustments on the fly will only harm your performance.

For a guy who's been playing as long as I have, my timekeeping is no better than decent; I blew off ever using a metronome for practice, I guess because I didn't think it was very 'punk rock'. I've drastically changed my position in recent years, and for that reason, I refer to the app frequently at this point - because I need it! But since I'm really working on my time nowadays, I expect to be able to use it less.

Back