Playing live, with a click

I ALWAYS use a click live.

So, you are the one I intended my question for.

How the hell can you (I) stay with the click when another band member is seemingly ignoring it? In the battle between the sound of the electric guitars and the wimpy click, my brain wants to go with with the loudest noise.

I am sure that there was quite a learning curve for your band mates to pay 100% attention and follow you. Common sense says they should but, my experiences so far have taught me otherwise. They sometimes seem to be in their own world sometimes, even when they can hear the click.

All I can do sometimes is to kill it, reset it and hope they start paying attention.

The part that blows me away is at the end of Spirit of Radio, Geddy hits a button and the piano part comes in for the end. How the heck are they in perfect time for the the sequencer to come in and be locked in perfect time with the band is beyond me.

I didn't hear any piano at the end??? I heard a couple of sequenced parts about halfway in but......

Wait..... OK, I watched a live version.

The sequenced parts aren't really that tough to step into because they come after a pause or a note held for a while. When the sequenced parts are triggered, it's very easy for them to jump on the tempo. As long as they are close, the human ear wouldn't hear a fluctuation of a few BPM.

I also noticed that he triggered his bass line along with the synth part for a couple measures so he can clap his hands and sing. :)

And, the piano part at the end is very distinct and, again, as long as they are close (which they would be after playing together for 100 years) it isn't difficult as long as it's triggered at the right time. I couldn't tell who was triggering it. Logically it would be the drummer because, well because we are the most talented of the bunch :) but it could have been a roadie for all I know.

Last edited:
Back