driest head for a snare?

Aquarian Focus-X is a really super dry head, probably dryer than Evans Genera HD dry (I tried that head this weekend on a 13x6 maple snare I thought it wasn't much dry).

By "dry" I assume you're talking about a head that has a short sustain and few overtones. . . a Remo Powerstroke 3 is a good choice if your drum is tuned low. However, I've found that P3's don't have as big of a tuning range as the HD; they start to choke at higher tension.

By "dry" I assume you're talking about a head that has a short sustain and few overtones. . . a Remo Powerstroke 3 is a good choice if your drum is tuned low. However, I've found that P3's don't have as big of a tuning range as the HD; they start to choke at higher tension.
thanx a lot, yes, shorter sustain and fewer overtones is what i'm looking for. i do tune mine pretty high so i'll go with the HD over P3...or i'll just drill a few holes and burn it like the other suggestion if i'm broke, haha

with more dryness, is there still a lot of articulation?

I have been on a quest for a dry snare head and switched from Remo Powerstroke to Evans Genera. The Evans Genera works as advertised and is very sensitive at the same time. I think that's because the Genera head is pretty thin and the tiny vent holes around the circumference reduce ring.

My only complaint about the Genera is that it tends to dent easily. I'm not a hard hitter and it's dented up. I think that is because it is relatively thin and single-ply. But that's what makes it so responsive too.

I'm using the Evans ST Dry Coated snare head.

They do come in both single and 2 ply, but I found that the single ply is a little bit more crisp... Some people will want to go with the 2 ply though because of durability issues.. but really, I am a pretty heavy hitter and I found that I dont need to hit nearly as hard with this head because of the sound it creates

I'm using the Evans ST Dry Coated snare head.

They do come in both single and 2 ply, but I found that the single ply is a little bit more crisp... Some people will want to go with the 2 ply though because of durability issues.. but really, I am a pretty heavy hitter and I found that I dont need to hit nearly as hard with this head because of the sound it creates

Yes yes yes. ST Dry is my fave head for taming a howling snare. And the regular ST is may favorite for normal to hard hitting. It's durable, and somehow louder than other heads.

Bermuda

Back