Religious Discussions on Drummerworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was moved to DrummerWorld Site News because of Bernhard's contribution to the conversation.

****************************************************​

There are visitors to this forum of all religious backgrounds and beliefs. I have noticed that the main forums on this site are being frequently used to discuss Christian religious topics. I think that the people who are using the main forums for Christian discussions are offending others who don't share the same interest in their threads. I think that the answer lies in respect for all that use this forum. I also think that a possible solution to this issue would be the establishment of a Christian Social Group for the Christians to hold their discussions. I don't see people of other religious orientations discussing their beliefs in the main forums. Ofending people and imposing religious agendas isn't what Drummerworld is about. I am tolerant and respectful of all peaceful people of all religious denominations. I wish love, peace and understanding to all people of the world.

There are plenty of forums on the web for religious discussions, politics too. Those discussions don't belong here, they only breed arguments and insults.

I think the rules of drummerworld explicitly state that no religious or political discussions are permitted for the reasons already mentioned. They inevitably deteriorate into a slanging match that gets abusive & personal.

Having said that, music does have very ancient & deep connections with religion and spirituality, and in a perfect world it would have been nice to discuss these connections in an intellectual sense with other musicians.

...If wishes were horses ..and Aydee had Tony's flams....

It would be nice to hear Bernard's thoughts on this issue. I think that it would also be interesting to see the views on the spiritual links between religion and music expressed in a forum that is dedicated to that purpose.

It would be nice to hear Bernard's thoughts on this issue. I think that it would also be interesting to see the views on the spiritual links between religion and music expressed in a forum that is dedicated to that purpose.

My thought is, that i feel uncomfortable with religious topics her at DW. I always must have an eye at them to make sure, they don't get out of hands..and they tend to go so sooner or later.....

We don't delete them at first...in fact the rules say we should.

Anyway:
Threads in the off topic lounge are deleted and brushed off from time to time without further notice. So be sure to backup meaningful thoughts all the time, before they're gone.

Yes, is great for some to have a forum dedicated to religious questions.
Not at Drummerworld of course, but there are so many out there already - good Links?

Bernhard

It is obvious from reading Bernhard's response that he has to make some difficult decisions in this area. I don't envy him for that. Thank you Bernhard for sharing your wisdom with us on this issue.

It's very simple really. Bernhard does not like it or want it so don't do it. Respect the mans wishes.

I like the unwritten bar rule: "No religion and no politics".

I have been accused many times, not on here, of being very black and white. On this subject, I admit to it, No Religion or Politics. No one is hurt, nor offended.

I have some SERIOUS issues with religious people, but them speaking freely isn't one of them.

As a devout athiest, I find religious discussions to be more irrelevant and pointless than offensive. And, therefore not needed on this forum.

I don't think we should be discussing this. Nobody is going to say "OK you're right, I'm wrong".

Personally, I think if you want to believe in something, go for it, but keep it far away from people who don't want to hear it.

I just welcomed a new young drummer to this site. I gave him advice on lessons and kit buying. Should I have given him religious advice also? Perhaps I should have told him that God doesn't exist.

Why? Why is this discussion happening on a drum forum? Why is there a thread about a thread...about religious discussions?

I don't understand the need. I can see why topics like this are taboo here. It's the old adage that politics and religion are the two things you don't talk about in polite company.

Geeze folks, lighten up a bit.

I'm more than happy to discuss religion or politics with anyone, any time - but here is not the place.

I just welcomed a new young drummer to this site. I gave him advice on lessons and kit buying. Should I have given him religious advice also? Perhaps I should have told him that God doesn't exist.

This adds to my suspicion that your original post on this thread was somewhat antagonistic. There are rational, respectful and useful ways to discuss the intersection between music, religion and spirituality, for those who are open to those kinds of discussions and wish to go there. If they don't want to go there, then I guess there's nothing more to discuss, is there now?

I think that it is time to end this thread. The point needed to be made and Bernhard and all the posters in this thread have made the point. There is no place on Drummerworld for religious and political statements. I wish to thank Bernhard and all who contributed. I'm going to stop posting to it now and slowly let it fade away. I didn't start this thread to antagonize, as has been suggested. I started this thread because I saw statements on other threads that offended people for their beliefs. I read the rules of this forum and I realised why they were there. That was my reason.

Last edited:
I can entirely respect your distaste for topics like this here on DW now, Bernhard. I am guilty of starting politically-charged threads myself, in the past, and they usually end on a bad note.

I still think things like this can be discussed calmly, rationally, and respectfully but this thread wasn't started with those intentions.

I go back to the polite company comment - we're polite company here and some things just don't belong here, IMHO.

You all see now what happens....all the time????!!!!!

Bernhard

Please lock this thread. Look what's happened in just a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back