Drummerworld Dictionary

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
This place has some proprietary words and phrases, and different but accepted ways to spell common words, that over the years, have accumulated to a point where I think we need a reference to point to, so there is a place to point the newer members to who don't understand the vernacular, so they don't think we're too "cliquey".

I could use some help jogging the old memory. Anything proprietary to Drummerworld.

I'll try to populate it a little for starters:

Rediculous or Re-diculous. A misspelling by (I think) a member called Tommycanuhearme. It was picked up and it just stuck. Tommy is also responsible for seatbelts and milk, which will be listed further down.

Going to the coast This was before my time here but as far as I know, it was coined by a member named tentpole, who was highly thought of. Maybe someone could add a little more backstory

Butt Strap This was my creation, it refers to the one snare strap that goes into the snare butt plate. Conversely, it's a fun way to jokingly degrade a fellow member. Butt strap Eder is my personal fav. Love ya Bo!

Caeks This was from the mind of Madge. I think it was an innocent misspelling. (clarification Madge?) Your membership shall be revoked if you don't use this spelling. For real, don't make me come down there.

Phil aka Freestylin, aka Freestylin White Chocolate aka White Chocolate Refers to my arch nemesis and sworn enemy, member caddywumpus. Don't get on the bad side of this man, it's a life sentence.

Last edited:
maybe explain the cape reference to those who were not fortunate enough to witness that unbelievably amazing thread

Mapex Saturn!!

Yes the cape. And also PEWDLLFAC (I know that's not the exact letters, a little help?) Both classics.

The cape...this story needs all the details, and I'm a little fuzzy where the cape made it's entrance. Jules knows this one good.

How about the "Haga!" thing and the 14 crew. Also which member do they call Jules? Is that their real name?

Pagan
Earth
Worshipers
Free
Love
Anarchists
Drummers
Chess
Club

I think you should define a "thinly veiled" marketing technique.

OK I got this. Thinly veiled....Andy (keepitsimple) was accused by member Shemp of a "thinly veiled" marketing attempt to peddle his Guru Drums here. Shemp accused Andy's Guru threads about the latest inner workings of Guru, to be a "thinly veiled" marketing attempt. Of course Andy is innocent of this, but the tagline graduated into the lofty realm of DW vernacular. Using any of the words or phrases included in this dictionary is highly encouraged.

Yes the cape. And also PEWDLLFAC (I know that's not the exact letters, a little help?) Both classics.

The cape...this story needs all the details, and I'm a little fuzzy where the cape made it's entrance. Jules knows this one good.

there have been very few times.... maybe actually one time... that I literally laughed myself into tears while reading a thread on these boards...... and the cape was it

a true gem for the ages

someone please break it down for the less fortunate..... I know I would do it little justice

How about the "Haga!" thing and the 14 crew. Also which member do they call Jules? Is that their real name?

Pagan
Earth
Worshipers
Free
Love
Anarchists
Drummers
Chess
Club

PEWFLADCC...that's it baby!

Haga, good one. Another mispelling of Haha I believe. By Madge. She's a prolific contributor.

Jules is the member/buttstrap named Pocket Full of Gold

Last edited:
Cool thread idea, Larry. Great for wasting time on a day when work sucks.

I also want to hear the cape origin tale.

I think "Caek" was first used by Anonymous when they protested against Scientology. They would sit out in front of the organization and just have fun, eating caek, drinking soda and listening to music. It made a hilarious contrast to the intensely serious attitude displayed by the other side.

Right. I've been here as long as anyone... ten years as of two weeks ago (there was another forum before this one).

Tentpole was a kid who put up some amusing threads. 'Going to the Coast!" was just a thread where he said he was going to the coast on holiday for a few days. You had to be there. A 'cool story, bro' type of thread. Now many of live on the coast (technically I do) but he was very excited. Hilarious.

PEWFLADCC was a reaction to the signature 'Christian Drummers Army' and a gentle ridicule. You'll notice how 'Christian Drummers Army' is no longer around here, whereas PEWFLADCC still is. I believe that was Jay Norem that started that one in around 2007. Maybe even 2006.

The cape thread was a thread where one member decided to try and troll the whole forum with a long winded story about how he tripped over his cape at a gig and his Mum had to go back and pick it up the next day. Absolute *%&^s*$t but very funny at the time.

'Thinly Veiled' was an attempted barb at Andy for his mentioning of Guru by Shemp. Not seen around these parts much after that, funnily enough.

Mapex Saturn. A dig at Glen ('Sticks4Drums' and others including 'Jag' and 'Balto') for his obsessional promotion of the marque. Mapex Saturn is the universal answer to any question, although my personally preferred universal answer in real life is 'Sledgehammer'.

Jules is Pocket-Full-of-Gold.

If anyone thinks of any others, I generally know the backstories...

I would like to suggest that we add brain tumor to the forum dictionary. This is my offering for the canned response that should be given whenever anyone asks for medical advice from their fellow non-MD drummers.

See this thread.

Mapex Saturn!!

From the beloved Glen, aka Sticks4Drums.

Glen loves Mapex Saturns, and thinks they are the best value in drums. While I don't disagree with him, the sheer volume of mentions of Saturns by Glen caused a real stir in the community.
It evolved to a point where when a thread goes south, whoever was largely responsible for it is said to have "Saturned" the thread. Excellent addition Mitch.

Right. I've been here as long as anyone... ten years as of two weeks ago (there was another forum before this one).

I'm a close second, first signed up on Christmas 10 years ago. Funny, but I know almost none of these stories. Where have I been for the last decade?

I think most of the "I injured myself, need help" threads are folks looking for someone who has had the same type of injury. Not the advisable method for sure but some get interesting. I would just recommend ice and rest, no matter what.

PEWFLADCC was a reaction to the signature 'Christian Drummers Army' and a gentle ridicule. You'll notice how 'Christian Drummers Army' is no longer around here, whereas PEWFLADCC still is. I believe that was Jay Norem that started that one in around 2007. Maybe even 2006.

I joined in summer of 2008 and I witnessed the PEWFLADCC thread as it happened. I want to say it went down in 2009.

I would like to suggest that we add brain tumor to the forum dictionary. This is my offering for the canned response that should be given whenever anyone asks for medical advice from their fellow non-MD drummers.

See this thread.

There's no nominations. You never know what will stick with this community, it just happens. Sorry Jim. But you never know, your term might get legs. Don't be Saturning the threads anymore, OK?

Here is the original "cape thread" in all it's glory.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99454

YES! Thank You! A must read. The first post is pure poetry. Here it is:

Hey guys, who has any embarrassing gig stories? I need some to make me feel better, because something awful happened to me..

>at gig
>stick flys out of my greasy, gammy, grubby butter hands
>actually execute a manly yell in horror as I realise I have no back up sticks
>in shock and adrenaline, I leap for the stick
>I manage to take a crash, a high-hat, my snare drum, and my tom stand with me
>the whole place falls silent after a dramatic gasp when me and half my kit spill across the stage with a tremendous goulash of CLUNKS and SHWOOMPSHS
>have an anxiety attack and run for the door
>my leg is wounded, so I trip and fall into some chick
>her boyfriend grabs me by my cape, drags me outside, and throws me onto the pavement
>too humiliated to go back and collect my gear
>made my mom do it
>band has cut contact with me

I'm thinking of writing a song and using these as the lyrics. Truly, the writing is superb. Greasy Gammy (wtf?) Grubby Butter Hands? Brilliant. Descriptive. Distilled. Resolved. The guys a regular Shakespeare. No unnecessary words, and creates an entire landscape with a dozen words..And the cape is inspired, as are the sound effects. A goulash? Brilliant.

I'm thinking the first 2 sentences should be spoken with some schmaltzy rhythm guitar in the back strumming whole note length open chords. Last chord a 7th or 9th. Lol. From there it could be a metal song, a reggae song, whatever. We could make a contest out of it. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Last edited:
It seems that a person can become famous around here by posting something stupid.

Now I'm worried.
I may become famous. I mean famous in a bad way.............

Back