Drummers you like on youtube

coolhand1969

OK, Cooper Drummer has been blasted (rightfully so), Drumeo has been shot down, so who is it on youtube that is really doing a good job, not just trying to flog DVD's. Gotta be someone!?

Thanks

There's a guy I'm subscribed to called SatansGrandpa who plays a lot of good Iron Maiden covers.

Aussiedrumnerd is a beast of a player. Love how in control he looks and how he moves across the kit. He seems to be highly competent in several genres too. Pity he hasn't done any videos in over a year.

I don't really cruise youtube looking at drummers but I really like Damani Rhodes...fun guy, neat stuff and simple to learn new things from.
Somebody on here recommended him (maybe WhoisTony)

I really don't have (much) interest in watching people play other people's songs, but there is one drummer on YT that I follow with great interest. I learn a lot from Alec Tackmann's channel. The best part is how little BS there is... He just shows a cool little lick or groove, then runs through it at different tempos/stickings/round the kit combos.

Really refreshing stuff. Check him out!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwG94Nb_Gggv3nq_t1Jm0dQ

Max Sansalone is THE MAN.

Unfortunately he does have a dvd or two for sale, and doesn't not fit your description in the OP. Regardless, he is a gem and and has absolutely great material to watch and learn from.

Troy Wright is my favourite youtube drummer, thus far.
Stan Bicknel, another Aussie drummer has some stuff up that I like, too.

This guy is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa59kHtaZQI

Heh.

I like Travis Orbin, troy wright also subcribe to aussiedrumnerd and a few others. I notice some of them have been quiet lately... either they come and go in spurts or they're over the youtube thing.

Glad I opened this thread, there's a few cool players I wouldn't have come across otherwise.

Thanks Ant, some great stuff there. Haven't been through them all yet but Tim Metz's channel took my fancy and I just checked out the fills lesson - it's now in my Favourites.

Emmanuelle Caplette is excellent, I always enjoy her covers.

Aussiedrumnerd is a beast of a player. Love how in control he looks and how he moves across the kit. He seems to be highly competent in several genres too. Pity he hasn't done any videos in over a year.

He's actual an old friend and fellow student of mine!

He was a finalist in the Billy Hyde drummers playoffs a few times and won it in 2006, I think it was. He's always been a fantastic player!

Troy Wright's also another favourite of mine, Emanuelle Caplette, Travis Orbin (although I'm not a huge fan of a lot of his music). Probably a few others but their names escape me.

VaDrum is good enough that Bernhard added him to the Drummers list

Last edited:
Jason McGeer of Death Cab for Cuite has some good stuff on rudamental techniques and Karl Brazil are some of my favorites. Although I've been getting into the UNT One O'Clock Lab bands and various drummers associated with them. Peter Erskine and Joe Morello (RIP) are always being studied and two of my favorites.

I live for Orbin. His demeanor, setup, and playing have inspired me on a very powerful level. I really like Rudinger, Wright, and all the in-house guys at MyCymbal too. :)

I am also partial to Luke Holland- say what you will, but he is a competent player, and we share some taste in music.]

(oh, yes, and of course- Mike Johnston. great guy, great soloist, complemented me on my green pants once.)

Last edited:
I like Mike Johnston's channel, he has some really good ideas and approaches. Like others I don't go searching for drummers, if something pops up here or in my suggestion feed on YT and I like it I'll subscribe.

Back