Violins & School Rental programs?

RinkRat

I have 3 young daughters (8, 7 & 7)...

They are starting to find some interest in music, which I am very excited about. I was hoping at least ONE of them would be interested in drumming... But for now, that's not the case. :(

One has a guitar, and another likes piano. I have at least some familiarity with those instruments.

But the oldest wants to play Violin, and I know absolutely NOTHING about it.

Her school has a Strings program to learn violin. They offer rentals for approximately $200/year... Plus stand... plus learning material...

She was already fitted, and needs a "1/4 size" violin. Are these rentals worth spending the money on? Should I go to fleabay to find one for half the price? My thought was since she is so young, and growing rapidly, that spending money on an expensive instrument is not a wise idea. At the same time, I hate to spend that much for an instrument she can't keep.

Just wondering what you folks would do.

Thanks.

I wouldn't rent. I would find a violin on craigslist or eBay. Do some investigation and search for an instrument that's selling for, at most, half of the new price. If your daughter uses it for a few months and then decides she's done (or needs to move up a size), you've saved that many months' worth of rental fees, plus you can resell it and get your money back (or hold on to it for your next daughter). Plus, most rental places will make you buy a violin that gets damaged while you're renting it. If you're going to chance buying one, it might as well be for a used price. :)

I bought a new 1/4 size a couple of years ago for my child. She played it for about a year or so and lost interest in it. There's a lot of those on Craigslist from time to time.

To put it into context I bought a violin a few years ago. It's a good student model, full-size with a case, rosin and a basic bow. I bought new strings for the violin and the total cost was £240. For $200, I wouldn't bother. I would simply go and look for a used violin. My violin is better than most rentals would be and I can resell it for most of the value. If you buy something used, then chances are that you wouldn't lose much on a resale if she loses interest or outgrows it.

I'm beginning to think violins and snare drums have a lot in common. Buy used and if the student develops a passion for it, then they can move up in quality.

Not sure about your area, but where I live every pawn shop has at least 1 student violin for about $100. Not knowing anything about violins other than I really like them, I don't know what the quality vs. money aspect is, but I see them everywhere.

The question is, can you pay monthly for the rental and cancel at anytime or do you have to pay the 200.00 up front. If you do I would try Craigslist. I see them on our list almost daily

I appreciate the suggestions everyone.

As it turns out, the cost is closer to $130 broken into monthly payments, instead of $200+.

I think I'll go the rental route, and if she really takes to it, I'll buy her one for xmas.

Thanks again.

-mike

Back