Marathon two gigs, two separate kits, 7 hours playing!

Morrisman

Platinum Member
So last night our 50's Rock and Roll band was booked to play in a local pub from 8.30 - 12.30. They serve dinner from 6pm, so they have a rule that all band gear must be loaded into the venue before 6. Tedious, but I understand why.

Anyway, last week we got offered another gig playing 4.30 - 7.30 that afternoon, around 15 km (10 miles) away. Which we accepted.

So - at 1pm I set out with my car stuffed to the roof with two complete drumkits, plus 2 powered mixers, mic's, foldback, cables, stands, etc..
I set up my main kit and the larger PA at the second venue, quick sound check, then at 3pm we all head off to the other gig, set up the whole band again with a smaller PA, perform for three hours and finish playing right on 7.30pm. It was 35 degrees C (96F) and very humid - we played outdoors under a tin roof.

At 7.30 we pack up everything into cars within 25 minutes, drive back to the other venue by 8.15, walk on stage and start playing again 8.30 until 12.30am.

We all felt rather dead by the end of it all. Both audiences loved us, and we got paid well. But what a day!

It did give me a unique opportunity to compare my two main kits, two different sets of cymbals, different kick pedals, snares, etc. playing the same songs with the same band. (They all played two amps, two keyboards, etc.)

Anyway - has any been in the situation where they've had to pack two complete kits in their car, or where they've played back two back gigs like this with a really short break in-between?

No I haven't, but that's impressive. I usually feel like I've got lots more in me after a 3 hr gig, but I think after that effort I'd drive home to bed and leave the drums in the car for the night.

I was going to say, I hope you were well compensated. That is a days work.

I was going to say, I hope you were well compensated. That is a days work.

A little over $300 each for the day, which seems OK to me. But I wouldn't want to do it very often.

"....I think after that effort I'd drive home to bed and leave the drums in the car for the night."

Yes - I have a secure garage so I did indeed.

Anyway - has any been in the situation where they've had to pack two complete kits in their car, or where they've played back two back gigs like this with a really short break in-between?

All the time! I usually get to just use my one kit, but I've played up to 4 gigs in a day (obviously those were pretty short). Usually from October-December I have at least two gigs on every Saturday and sometimes on Sundays. Next Saturday, for example, I have a wedding in the afternoon 2pm-6pm, then I'm heading straight to a fundraiser gig (about an hour away) with a different band 8pm-12am. Luckily the bass player is the same on both gigs so we've been carpooling, and we're both showing up at the same time.

I think this is one of the best parts of being in the rhythm section; we can stack up gigs and take advantage of the busy season!

Back