Beginners selection Pearl Explort or Tama Silverstar

snakemau

Ok so I want to learn as well as my kids and we are looking for a decent drum set. The Pearl Export EX725SPC
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PEA-EX725SPC-LIST

or the Tama VK62HS Silverstar
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAM-VK62HS-LIST

Now for the Tama I need cymbals and all hardware plus throne, but the Pearl just cymbals and throne. The Tama is 6 pieces vs 5 of the Pearl but I dont think I need that extra tom right now since just starting. However there is a difference between the shell materials, birch vs mahogany-poplar in the Pearl. I dont know anything about hardware but seems the Pearl one is not bad. So my question is: where do I get more quality for the money if getting the Pearl plus throne and cymbals or the Tama that needs throne, cymbals and hardware? I dont want to spend too much but also dont want to buy bad stuff. and if someone could recommend a set of cymbals will be great! So any suggestions?

First,what is your buget?.Have you considered used drums and cymbals?That would double your buying power,and you'd be getting a better instrument at the same time.Entry level cymbals,are likely to not sound all that good,and there isn't anything you can do,to make them sound better

The Tama silverstar line are great drums,but the hyper accel ,shorter drum shells,aren't as versitile at standard depth tom shells.The silverstar birch shells,are excellent sounding drums.I haven't heard the "new" Pearl export series,but the shell material,is less expensive than birch in the Tama shells.

Steve B

buy a used Pearl export kit for half that price, use the extra money to get decent used cymbals (hihats, 1 crash and 1 ride). easily done for $500-600 total.

\The Tama silverstar line are great drums,but the hyper accel ,shorter drum shells,aren't as versitile at standard depth tom shells.

Steve B

Eh, I don't know about that. My hyper-drive shells were plenty versatile, as rack toms tend to be. Plus, that picture does not look like the Accel-Driver setup (which is 10x8 and 12x9 toms), but the Hyper-Drive setup (which is 10x6.5 and 12x7).

I definitely agree with buying used anyways. Get (used) nice cymbals, a nice throne, a nice snare (maybe a nice pedal too), and the toms/stands won't matter as much. With high quality heads, any cheap kit can be made to sound at least acceptable, but cymbals are untunable and snare drums usually matter a little more.

Back