The advantage of having connections.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
For all the young lads out there, this is a big piece of advise. Now I am poor, I don't drive, I mostly have to look after my disabled mother and have taken a year off uni. But I decided I would make this year the best year for myself as a musician. So what did I do? Well firstly I set up a drum blog, this is easy and took only a few minutes and I keep posting on it and it gets a surprising amount of hits. Instantly this gave me exposure, which in turn lead to me getting invited to a few events and lead to me getting an endorsement. Other than that I set up a monthly music night in my local town, which again has lead to both money, session work and exposure (even to the point of now being in contact with the owner of provenance drums so I can do a review on one of his boutique snares). I would pass round a piece of paper asking everybody to write down their names and email addresses so we could have a contact circle of contacts, something you ALL should do. I have done a small bit of restoration work on drums this year, and learnt how to re head calfskin. But all this pales in comparison to what happened recently. Due to a contact gained through publicity, someone who became my friend through this got a big endorsement needed to unload his gear asap, and for free I got the following: (all mehmet)
20" istanbul sultan heavy ride
20" istanbul samatya ride
18" istanbul samatya crash
16" istanbul samatya crash
14" wuhan china
14" istanbul samtya hi hats
12" istanbul samatya splash
10" istanbul samtya splash
dw 3000 double bass pedal
Protection racket cymbal bag
Baskey mat markers.

So about a grands worth of gear. So to all you younglings, have contacts! There are some drop dead amazing people out there, and this guy turned my life around this year as it has been so rough. So I reccomend, just build your contacts!!!

Fantastic haul, congrats! Sometimes things go right for little to no reason, just like they sometimes go wrong. Enjoy!

Like my dad used to say, "it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Dennis

Back