Food before shows

Gretsch88

I was wondering what you guys eat before show's. Mine is pasta/ spagetti. and I drink
gatorade and maybe eat a candy bar. What food do you think is the best fuel for 3 set .
cya Denny

I always eat minimal before and find I'm starving afterwards... and that's when I tend to eat.

Petrol. Although it's hard to get hold of leaded four-star these days, I find that is the best supplement for those ridiculous hours I have to put in. That and some good old-fashioned anti-freeze and I'm well on my way.

Jesus Christ. What next? Shoes? Oh wait, we've covered that.

I can't eat a big meal before a gig. I almost never eat anything within 5 hours of playing. I think I play better hungry. I also try never to drink alcohol and play. I am a consummate recorder of gigs and I can tell a huge difference in my playing with and without alcohol. The alcohol tends to make me overplay *gasp* a bit for a blues band.

I can't eat a big meal before a gig. I almost never eat anything within 5 hours of playing. I think I play better hungry. I also try never to drink alcohol and play. I am a consummate recorder of gigs and I can tell a huge difference in my playing with and without alcohol. The alcohol tends to make me overplay *gasp* a bit for a blues band.

I agree! Besides, who thinks of food whilst they're playing onstage? Having a bad stomach from the result of food though... yes.

Shoes! Really? Sounds like I missed out big time on that one. Please do fill me in ;)

Yeah, shoes. Christ. I mean, is playing the drums actually important or is all the preparation more so?

Yeah, shoes. Christ. I mean, is playing the drums actually important or is all the preparation more so?

Ahh yes. Superstitions. Don't get me started. Maybe drummers (myself included) are the only group of people more superstitious about performing than baseball players.

I Gotta Eat! I always eat! If you've seen my pics, Im sure that you all know that I never miss a meal. Especially a FREE MEAL! Free food and Im there! I don't have a particular diet for playing. I do drink sports drinks as I play. I simply eat whatever food is available at the venue, or nearby. I limit myself to one beer per hour. I alternate the beers with the sports drinks. There is no combination better than playing music with good friends, eating good food, and moderate drink! Im definitely A Foodie!
We all bring food to all of our practices with both bands that I play with.

Last edited:
I never eat before I play. All I can think about at that point, all I can be about, is playing music. That's my "food." I just have no appetite when I'm going to play, all I can think about is playing.

I Gotta Eat! I always eat! If you've seen my pics, Im sure that you all know that I never miss a meal. Especially a FREE MEAL! Free food and Im there! I don't have a particular diet for playing. I do drink sports drinks as I play. I simply eat whatever food is available at the venue, or nearby. I limit myself to one beer per hour. I alternate the beers with the sports drinks. There is no combination better than playing music, good food, and moderate drink!

If there's a choice of catering or buy outs, through my own experiences I choose to have it afterwards when I'm the most hungry..and I don't care if it's cold or not. Nibbles beforehand if there are any and depending on the gig I may have a wee drink or not.... I always know my limits. If it's something that involves me to push my technique to the limits then I wont touch any. Just common sense.
More importantly though, why am I even writing and sharing this with you all? Am I really that bored this evening? Yes!! Someone will be created a post next called.. " poo.... pre or post gig. Importance"?

I like to drink as much liquid as possible before I go on. Having to urinate and not being able to definitely makes me play better.

If there's a choice of catering or buy outs, through my own experiences I choose to have it afterwards when I'm the most hungry..and I don't care if it's cold or not. Nibbles beforehand if there are any and depending on the gig I may have a wee drink or not.... I always know my limits. If it's something that involves me to push my technique to the limits then I wont touch any. Just common sense.
More importantly though, why am I even writing and sharing this with you all? Am I really that bored this evening? Yes!! Someone will be created a post next called.. " poo.... pre or post gig. Importance"?
I've been going with the groove myself! Just staying in the pocket! Im hungry now! Im gonna cook me some marinated venison steaks on my grill with some corn and sweet potatoes! Im also gonna have another Martini, cause Im not gigging tonight.
See Yas later bye!

I've been going with the groove myself! Just staying in the pocket! Im hungry now! Im gonna cook me some marinated venison steaks on my grill with some corn and sweet potatoes! Im also gonna have another Martini, cause Im not gigging tonight.
See Yas later bye!

Mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm....Sounds good!

Speaking of food. Does anyone have any good recipes? Oh sorry I forgot we're on a drum forum.

I'll go along with pasta and Gatorade. Load up on carbs and electrolytes. Probably just earlier in the day rather than right before.

You mean there isn't?! and we call ourselves drummers...

What do you mean.. PRE or POST... I always made sure we had at least two songs in our repertoire that didn't require drums... Just in case... @;) But, actually, I'm serious..! @:-O

And, Sports drinks...?! Is Johny "Walker" a sports drink..!?!

Back to post... Man when I use to do weddings... I would scarf it down..

I'll go along with pasta and Gatorade. Load up on carbs and electrolytes. Probably just earlier in the day rather than right before.

Yeah nothing too heavy. Like you said - earlier in the day is better so it has time to get out of your stomach. Feeling full while playing is distracting, at least for me. I find I have more of an edge if I'm hungry.

I like a light meal but nothing heavy. People of middle-European background perish if they don't eat (at least!) every 4 hours, but a big meal makes me feel like blobbing out.

I enjoy alcohol with playing - not a bad life, playing music and enjoying a few drinks! One or two glasses of red is nice while playing or during a break but not beforehand. I can relate to others here who talk about overplaying if they drink too much.

Back