Where do you go for used gear?

cutaway79

Silver Member
Aside from CL, Reverb, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and eBay, what are some of your favorite places to find used gear? Looking for some Mapex Orion add-ons, and need more options.

Last edited:
Where did I used to go?..Pawn shops that specialized in musical instruments. There used to be lots of them in the downtown areas of big cities..most are gone now.

Mapex Orion add-ons are just hard to find. They were a series released by company that was not well received when they came out. Mapex 15 years ago is not what they are now. The Orion series were not big sellers because they were the same price, if not more, than established brands. Aside from the outlets you mention, I wouldn't even know where to look.

Mapex Orion add-ons are just hard to find. They were a series released by company that was not well received when they came out. Mapex 15 years ago is not what they are now. The Orion series were not big sellers because they were the same price, if not more, than established brands. Aside from the outlets you mention, I wouldn't even know where to look.

Absolutely! Especially since they offered 3 different hardware finishes. I've found a few bass drums, but they all had black or gold hardware (I need chrome). The shell finish itself doesn't even matter, since I'm piecing the whole kit together from orphans, then refinishing everything to match. Such a pain, but I'm almost there.

What are you looking for so I can keep an eye out?

What are you looking for so I can keep an eye out?

15" tom or floor tom; 22" bass drum; possibly 20" bass drum, if the price is right. Any depth and finish. Shell finish can be in any condition, so long as the chrome still looks good, and everything is structurally sound. I've attached a picture of the badge, because I know the Orions have gone through many changes over the years.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 7f9b2b57e0e4d6eb2dfce32f3a82b9c6_01.jpg
    7f9b2b57e0e4d6eb2dfce32f3a82b9c6_01.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 152
I'll keep an eye out for any Orion series in those sizes with chrome hardware. They really are good drums, but they weren't sold in big numbers, and the majority have the gold hardware. I have a Brass Master 14x6.5 snare with the 24k (afaik) plated lugs and die-cast hoops from that era. It's an absolute killer.

I'll keep an eye out for any Orion series in those sizes with chrome hardware. They really are good drums, but they weren't sold in big numbers, and the majority have the gold hardware. I have a Brass Master 14x6.5 snare with the 24k (afaik) plated lugs and die-cast hoops from that era. It's an absolute killer.

Thanks a bunch!

They really are awesome. I picked up a used kit off CL a while back from Brian Setzer's former drummer (he switched to Saturn when the Orion was discontinued) - 10x8, 12x8, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 18x16, 24x16, 24x16, and 14x5.5 snare - for $750! The drums are in great condition, but the finish is pretty jacked on some of the drums, and custom, so I wouldn't be able to find matching drums anyway. So I decided to just finish it off with an 8x8 (got one off Reverb), and the other drums I mentioned, and then have them refinished. Figured I could just build a full shell bank to suit whatever gig I get called for.

Dang! That's a hell of a deal, especially from the BSO. You will find what you're looking for eventually, and I'll try to help you out. That is a great shell bank.

Small country so ebay is my general choice. When buying used I'm usually looking for something that's hard to find, certainly not available around here and it might take a while before it even pops up on the web.

For cheaper stuff and finding a first kit for a student there's usually something available locally if we ask around. As long as the drum sizes are ok we get the lowest Pearl throne and I might take the saw to some of the hardware. Mainly the hi-hat stand.

Craigslist ,GC and there's a few consignment stores in San Jose and Santa Clara I go to.
Just got this set of Paiste Sigs for $129 bucks yesterday.

Attachments

• sig1.jpg
    sig1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 100
Back