Steve Jordan Setup

dimem

I am looking for a bird's eye view picture of Jordan's setup (probably the one he had in the John Mayer Trio tour). I remember the picture including both sets he used for that tour as well as it being featured in Steve Jordan's page here on drummerworld. I've looked everywhere but can't find it.

Not really bird's view but it's a very nice setup.

16765_1301537658134_1221222716_919951_1967743_n.jpg

4549255057_e107083a97_b.jpg

Thanks guys but none of these pictures is the one I am looking for. In the one I am looking for the main drumset has a wooden snare with wooden hoops, could be Steve's signature one with a stripe of tape for muffling.

This was his main set for the JM tours.
attachment.php

If you look to the first picture I posted he uses a 20unit high flightcase for diefferent snares.

He's known for using Brady snares as well as his own signature snare with woodhoops.

As well as the Blue Oyster Definitiv:
jmtrio.jpg

attachment.php

He also used with various projects:

The Champagne Sparkle Nouveau:
attachment.php

Eric+Clapton+Steve+Jordan+Eric+Clapton+Crossroads+C7rxj6ARRdZl.jpg

attachment.php

The Green Sparkle Absolute:
jordan_pic1.jpg

attachment.php

The Club Custom Prototype:
1039900_10151614516388666_1356523474_o_zpsc29db8c7.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that's the one mls. Thanks a lot, great pictures both of them as well. How does one get to move that kind of a case though?!

I know this thread is kind of old but Can anyone tell me the contents of the pic of
His trunk full of snare drums? like every single one on the pic that Wouk be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

And btw I'm looking for anyone who's selling the Steve Jordan snare drum, I've wanted one for a while now but I can't find them since they've been discontuniued :(

Thanks everyone!
-Francisco

From top to bottom, left to right:
1) Unknown (possibly a Ludwig Acrolite?)
2) Yamaha Unknown (Maple/Birch/Beech Custom Absolute?)
3) Unknown
4) Yamaha Elvin Jones Signature
5) Yamaha Maple Custom
6) Yamaha Maple/Birch/Beech Custom Absolute with Yamaha Vintage Hoops
7) Yamaha Elvin Jones Signature
8) Yamaha Akira Jimbo Signature
9) Yamaha Unknown
10) Unknown Secret Snare
11) Yamaha Steve Jordan Signature

And on a site note, the first image seems to have changed...

Hey thank you that really helps me. Thats a crazy snare arsenal! Why do you think he would have 2 Elvin Jone Sigs? ..Do you know of any other snare drum he has in his collection?

and I think your right...

oh just out of curiosity, As of now steve plays his yamaha club custom kit which is a 20" bass, 12" tom and a 16" floor? ( Judging by the looks of it, im sure im wrong about the bass size haha)

But do you know what he played before hand? Did he have a yamaha kit before the club customs or was he still playing a Ludwig kit?

Thanks so much again!
-Francisco

Two Elvin's probably for two different tunings. He also uses a Brady snare that you can see in the first image in this thread.

Before Club Custom, he had various Absolute sets, which are pretty much represented in this thread. There's a dark green sparkle Absolute, too:

jordan_steve_4.jpg

Oh ok I get you, Well that's smart. I see the Brady your talking about.. it's 12X6 right?

Alright I see, well I never got to see his absolute kits that often cause when I finally found out who he was, he was using club customs.

if only I can find a Steve Jordan snare drum, I want one so bad haha, But of course they discontinued it and all the ones out there are going for prices way out of my budget :(

Yeah I believe your right, The vintage hoops do add a very nice look to the drum but I'm not
Totally sure of there purpose? I'm told it's just for cross sticking enhamcents and apparently they let the drum breathe a bit more, But being as I've never tried them I can't say for sure on those two points. I just know they look very cool haha

I've looked everywhere for a Steve snare and Ebays prices can go anywhere from 250 all the way to 800(brand new) so I don't know, It seems like every time I have one in my sight
It gets taken from me :(

I've used wooden snare drum hoops on a couple of snares. Personally, I didn't really dig them. I'm not saying this to be contrary; they just weren't for me. I don't consider myself to be a heavy hitter, but I play with more rimshots than cross sticking. I just didn't like the feel or sound of wood hoops with rim shots. I like the solid feel of steel under my sticks.

A compromise could be to add one of those Yamaha groove wedges, and have both steel and wood. That provides both options.

Edit: Another consideration is that wood hoops require a snare stand basket that will open up to 15" diameter (for a 14" snare). The hoops make the footprint larger. Some baskets don't open that big. Most of the Yamaha stands I've tried will work.

Last edited:
i dont remeber that john robinson snare? What were the specifications?

Also, with the wood hoops, I agree with you, On recordings ive heard with steve playing rimshots and it sounds just like if he were to play rimshots with just a regular metal rim, but hey if it produces a sound he wants then why not, But for someone like me with a tight budget it would be to much money to add a cool look to my snare, Which is just a old generic metal snare(No brand) i need to find one thats good quality but easy on the wallet, I might go for the mapex mpx 13X6 maple snare so i can get somewhere close to the steve jordan snare dimensions and what not, but i need to ask around to see how that snare is.

That looks like a very nice snare, The 15" diameter might be a little much to handle
(For my tastes at least) But I'm sure it was probably a really good model, I've never heard one on a recording or anywhere really? was it just am unpopular model or was it so sacred that no one wanted to use it? Haha

The muashi snares I did look into before the MPX snare drums the only thing was the price compared to the mpx snares and I had a bit of peeve with the way they looked, I honestly prefer natural finishes on snares. But I will end up saving as long as possible for a Steve Jordan. Its gonna be worth it especially for how long I'll be saving hahaha

I do believe THIS is the photo you've been looking for my friend....

I am looking for a bird's eye view picture of Jordan's setup (probably the one he had in the John Mayer Trio tour). I remember the picture including both sets he used for that tour as well as it being featured in Steve Jordan's page here on drummerworld. I've looked everywhere but can't find it.

Attachments

• jordan_steve_kit2.jpg
    jordan_steve_kit2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 21,743
Back