Derek Roddy here!

I had SO much fun with Eric....what a great player and dude.

Yeah, that was a 10 and 12 Gen X filter chinas....stacked on each other....gnarly huh?

D.

Very cool sound out of that thing. I've got a buddy who's got an extra single pedal and want's to setup a cowbell to it, but I'm going to have to show him that clip. He'll drop a deuce in his pants the size of a brick.

Hey Derek,
I posted a thread asking for help to tune my drums to sound metal, i was told to come here and ask you.
Ps, i love your drumming!

thanks

lewis

Just to chime in a month late, I bought the book Evolution of the Blast Beat and it's pretty effing awesome.

Hey Derek,

I'm excited man I just ordered the book you wrote The Evolution of Blast Beats and I am freaking stoked! I never knew about you until I bought my MD Festival 08 dvd's and you blew my mind away! I have started drumming pretty late (started at 23) but you as well as all the drummers on those dvd's inspired me even further to pursue drumming so thanks man! I had to say that, you take it easy now.

Hi Mr. Roddy, I don't listen to metal at all, or play any, but I have a lot of respect for you and your playing. It's not easy to make that stuff musical, but I think you've pulled it off, with your own musical voice aswell.
Cheers, Phil :)

Hey Derek,

I'm excited man I just ordered the book you wrote The Evolution of Blast Beats and I am freaking stoked! I never knew about you until I bought my MD Festival 08 dvd's and you blew my mind away! I have started drumming pretty late (started at 23) but you as well as all the drummers on those dvd's inspired me even further to pursue drumming so thanks man! I had to say that, you take it easy now.

You will LOVE the book. The CD that it comes with is kinda helpful, but having all those various blasts written out is enormously useful.

Also, some of his speed/endurance exercises are pretty excellent. I just did an hour of the 4/8/12/16/singles and seriously at the end of the hour I was already more comfortable doing single stroke double bass rolls than when I started.

Hey Derek,
I posted a thread asking for help to tune my drums to sound metal, i was told to come here and ask you.
Ps, i love your drumming!

thanks

lewis

Hey there....well that's a loaded question! Haha.

What I've done to my drum sound personally...is get away from sounding "metal". haha.

There are a lot of variables with this topic but, the reason modern day metal drums sound the way they do isn't because of the drumtuning or EQ....it's because of sound replacing!
(You'll have to do some research about this on your own....way to much info to type here.)

That said...there are a few things that can get you close with a natural kit.
Back in the "old days"....we used a variety of things to get that bright, punchy sound....that lead to all the modern drum samples used.

First...kick drum.
To get that tight, bright sound...you just need to EQ the crap out of it.
Add top end in the 6 - 8K range...this gives you the snap.
Cut some mids...you'll have to play with this to see where the drum will sound best to you. Mids....give you your "tone" and "type" of sound. That's a personal preference issue.
Last low end....and contrary to popular belief.....you filter anything below 100-80 Hz.
This will clean up the muddiness that low end give.... when a lot of notes are being played.
The actual amount of notes....is what creates that "rumble" we associate with metal music...not low end.
Snare...nothing special really. Just compress the snot out of it and, have a nice drum.
Toms....same as kicks.
Over heads....I like to filter all low end....up to about 400Hz for metal stuff. This removes most Tom and kick bleed...giving you a cleaner overhead sound.
Of course all of this depends on the type of sound you're going for but...for metal...as a general rule....this works.

Now, head choices....don't think that matters as much but, most metal players use 2 ply heads (I do not..I like the tone of singles).
Emp and pinstripes really do the trick but, remember.....drums just sound like drums.

All of this processed stuff you hear in these drum sounds on record ....usually aren't the actual drums being used. or they are eq'd very heavily......in other words...there is no way to get a metal drum sound...unless you record your drums.

Drums are drums and the principle of all drums are the same...from a audible point of view.

Hope that helps...
cheers,
D.

Hey Derek,

Just to chime in a month late, I bought the book Evolution of the Blast Beat and it's pretty effing awesome.

Thanks guys...glad the book and DVD is doing there job! Haha.
Cheers for the support.

D.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has commented on the book, DVD or my playing.
Drummers are just the coolest bunch of musicians out there.

Ultimately, I'll be able to continue to grow from the influence of ALL YOU GUYS!

I dream of the day of becoming the drummer I want to be.....much like all of you....I'm sure.

Cheers everyone.

D.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has commented on the book, DVD or my playing.
Drummers are just the coolest bunch of musicians out there.

Ultimately, I'll be able to continue to grow from the influence of ALL YOU GUYS!

I dream of the day of becoming the drummer I want to be.....much like all of you....I'm sure.

Cheers everyone.

D.

I feel honored to be in contact with you.

I've been doing some of your endurance exercises and I have to say I see improvement every day. I just started taking some of the speed advice found in this thread and it's helping me as well. I'll be picking up the evolution of blast beats next month, I'm really excited about the countless hours I'm going to throw at this.

I feel honored to be in contact with you.

I've been doing some of your endurance exercises and I have to say I see improvement every day. I just started taking some of the speed advice found in this thread and it's helping me as well. I'll be picking up the evolution of blast beats next month, I'm really excited about the countless hours I'm going to throw at this.

Cheers brother....glad some of the exercises are working for you.

D.

Back