Your Shameful Music

drumgeek93

We all have em'. Those bands or musicians that we listen to in the confidence of our own home, cause we are to embarrassed to tell people we listen to them. Who's yours?

Paula Abdul, Donna Lewis, Enya, and Lady Gaga...yea pretty embarrassing ehh?

I actually bought on iTunes Britney's 'Toxic', and Gerri Halliwell's 'These boots are made for walkin''....

But everything else I listen to is super cool!

Whatever that means. ;)

I actually bought on iTunes Britney's 'Toxic', and Gerri Halliwell's 'These boots are made for walkin''....

But everything else I listen to is super cool!

Whatever that means. ;)

It means you are super cool haha.

We all have a choice to listen to music, we all listen to different types, thats why music is incredible.

i like enya.....

being the death metal/grindcore guy i am, i get made fun of cuz my ipod also has blondie, sisters of mercy, sarah brightman, lords of acid, ENYA, enigma, sheryl crow, tori amos, sarah mcclachlin........

i'm about to make fun of myself if i keep going....

There's nothing I listen to that I'm actually ashamed of, but a lot of people find it funny/strange that t.A.T.u. is one of my favourite bands.

...It might be time to change my avatar.

Great topic! I was actually thinking of starting a thread like this. Great minds and all...

It's not really a guilty pleasure because I'm not shy about it but I really dig on Disco. There's just something about that relentless driving beat...

My girlfriend is into a lot of electronica and dance music and I have a gay friend that changes my radio stations while he's in the car so I listen to more Lady Gaga than anyone should. It's starting to grow on me.

...It might be time to change my avatar.

Great topic! I was actually thinking of starting a thread like this. Great minds and all...

It's not really a guilty pleasure because I'm not shy about it but I really dig on Disco. There's just something about that relentless driving beat...

My girlfriend is into a lot of electronica and dance music and I have a gay friend that changes my radio stations while he's in the car so I listen to more Lady Gaga than anyone should. It's starting to grow on me.

1 lady gaga song is more then anyone should hear...

It's more shameless than shameful: Rob Zombie, GWAR, The Chemical Brothers, Village People, Poison, Dead Kennedys, Rob Halford (solo career).

KISS, Andrew WK. Maybe i get a pass on KISS since it was my first concert experience at age 12 - me, my best friend & my brother went with...MY MOM. but it was ok especially when she fell asleep mid-concert (all the pot smoke?). bahaha !

Interesting replies! I think because of my age (in high school), having my cell phone ringer as "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees counts as shameful. But I really dig anything David Foster produced. .. Yes Celine Dion as well. Lol

KISS, Andrew WK. Maybe i get a pass on KISS since it was my first concert experience at age 12 - me, my best friend & my brother went with...MY MOM. but it was ok especially when she fell asleep mid-concert (all the pot smoke?). bahaha !

Andrew WK is way too catchy...there was a time when I would almost listen to his stuff exclusively

The 'Ting Tings' and 'The Sundays' maybe.

One of my favorite songs is Bryan Ferry's "Slave to Love", that always
gets me some strange looks.

You could call the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack geeky...

...except, the Voices of the Lifestream covers are unbelievably amazing. Some fantastic drumming on some of them, too.

Elvis is cool man I don't care what anybody thinks.

Johnny Cash too....

I also have this retro 80's party compilation that always puts me in a good mood.

No "guilty pleasures" here.

Here's my spiel for "guilty pleasure" threads, starting off with a couple quoted passages:

From Wikipedia (the emphases are mine): "In psychology and ordinary language, guilt is an affective state in which one experiences conflict at having done something that one believes one should not have done . . . Sigmund Freud described this as the result of a struggle between the ego and the superego parental imprinting . . . Some thinkers have theorized that guilt is used as a tool of social control. Since guilty people feel they are undeserving, they are less likely to assert their rights and prerogatives . . . As with any other emotion, guilt can be manipulated to control or influence others . . . Guilt can also be remedied through cognition, the understanding that the source of the guilty feelings was illogical or irrelevant."

From http://www.coping.org/growth/guilt.htm: "Guilt is . . . Feeling of regret for your real or imagined misdeeds, both past and present . . . Feeling of obligation for not pleasing, not helping, or not placating another . . . Driving force or mask behind which irrational beliefs hide.

"People can and sometimes will . . . Make you believe they will suffer greatly if you do not respond positively to their request(s) . . . Call on your guilt to respond to their requests, even when it means violating your rights . . . Accuse you of misdeeds, words, or actions to arouse your sense of guilt and make you believe you are the one with a problem . . . Reinforce your negative self-perceptions, encouraging you to be guilt ridden and self-judgmental for their benefit . . . Build a case with moral absolutes to convince you of the ``right way'' to do things, avoiding that negative feeling of guilt for themselves . . . Set up situations for you in which you will believe your alternatives are limited to that which results in the least sense of guilt."
You shouldn't feel guilty about listening to any music. Your taste is fine just as it is. Don't worry about whether it doesn't match others' tastes. If they have a problem with you having different taste it's their problem, not yours. Like whatever music you like and be proud of the fact that you like it.

I mainly listen to metal so I get weird looks when Bjork/Sugarcubes comes on, or Dave Matthews (although, imo, DMB has a lot of metal-like qualities in quite a few songs like Two Step, Warehouse, Watchtower, and most of Before These Crowded Streets).

Hmm...

Not really shameful, but out-of-the-ordinary stuff:

All American Rejects
Breaking Benjamin
Dave Matthews Band
Earth Wind and Fire
The Fifth Dimension
Kristian Digeridoo's Ensemble(Hats off to my people from Oz)
O-ZONE
Owl City
Ronald Jenkees
Steely Dan
Third Eye Blind
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Yoshida Brothers(Shamisen rock)

Everything else is either System Of A Down or Slipknot. And some others.

Back