quick question

CaptainSticks

hey guys, i have a 22x20 gretsch renown maple bass and i just have a quick question.

Well, right now i have eq4 as batter and batter ported eq3 as resto set up for it. I also have a superkick II on my pearl kit and a new EMAD off to the side, then for resto i just have stock pearl.

I dont really want to buy resto, so if you guys can give me on advice on how to i can get my bass to have a lot of volume, punch, and depth with what i have.

-thanks

I think the combo that you are using now is the best. The aquarian superkick 2 isn't going to give you much volume.

If you are a true Tool fan you will not put any muffling on any of your drums and use all single plys, let them ring out to their fullest ability. Even though that is Danny's opinion let me tell you a little story. I attended my schools talent show a couple of weeks ago and I noticed one person had the same exact kit as me, just not was many pieces. He had a full piece of moongel on his 2 toms and had a SK2 with a giant piece of something in his bass drum, I think it was a blanket. He played Wipeout and that was a pretty lame song for a highschool talent show and his technique was bad, but what I noticed most of all is I could not hear his bass drum at all and his toms sounded like he was hitting a thick piece of paper and he was not micd up at all. After that I will never muffle my drums again that was just horrible. I will only use partial muffling for practice, but if I play live I will be taking the 2 very small pillows out of my bass drums.

If you are a true Tool fan you will not put any muffling on any of your drums and use all single plys, let them ring out to their fullest ability. Even though that is Danny's opinion let me tell you a little story. I attended my schools talent show a couple of weeks ago and I noticed one person had the same exact kit as me, just not was many pieces. He had a full piece of moongel on his 2 toms and had a SK2 with a giant piece of something in his bass drum, I think it was a blanket. He played Wipeout and that was a pretty lame song for a highschool talent show and his technique was bad, but what I noticed most of all is I could not hear his bass drum at all and his toms sounded like he was hitting a thick piece of paper and he was not micd up at all. After that I will never muffle my drums again that was just horrible. I will only use partial muffling for practice, but if I play live I will be taking the 2 very small pillows out of my bass drums.

This man has got the right idea. Less muffling for volume, use it if you'll be the only one ever hearing it.

Yeah i noticed that with my old pearl EX export kick(muffled) compared to my schools tama rockstar(unmuffled) and the rockstar was a lot louder.... But i am kinda trying to replicate DCs sound...do you think i can get some advice on how to do it?

Last edited:
Yeah i noticed that with my old pearl EX export kick(muffled) compared to my schools tama rockstar(unmuffled) and the rockstar was a lot louder.... But i am kinda trying to replicate DCs sound...do you think i can get some advice on how to do it?

Hmm I tried to replicate it too, and I found out its easier to just find your own sound. It's not worth the time to me to try to replicate the sound he has because who knows what is going on in the studio with Danny and his mics, electric pads, world drums and w/e else he has. However his bass drums are open no muffling single ply if you listen to The Grudge on Lateralus you will hear them working together. I found out that different circumstances call for different things, I put 2 small pillows in my bass drums just to define my bass drums a little more so I can hear them when I practice, but if I played live I would not even use pillows. I am just so ashamed of how the kids set sounded, it was almost like torturing his drum set. The closest I got to Danny's sound was ambassador, or PS3 on all batter sides, PS3 on bass drum, and Ambassador resos, PS3 bass drum reso. My best advice is to just walk away from replicating any ones sound unless your goal in life is to sound like that one person cause no equipment sounds exactly the same, every cymbal and drum has slight characteristic differences that will throw the sound off a little bit, so just take my advice and look for the sound that suits you out of your kit.

Thats good advice...thanks. I do like his bass and snare sound, ill probably try and find something like it.. If i change the resto head to one w/o a port would the volume and punch (In the sense if you stood infront of it you could feel it) increase?

I personally don't think there is a major difference with porting your bass drums as far as raw unmic'd sound goes. I did think the port made it a little louder, and it is easier to get a good sound by placing mics inside, but I don't no a whole lot about all of the little details in bass drum sounds and mic'ing, however the port makes moving pillows around much easier, but you wouldn't want too big of a port hole, maybe like max 5-6". My friend has like his whole reso like cut in half basically and it sounds horrible, so I would not recommend that, but thats the best info I am able to give with the provided questions you gave me.

Back