Evans Hydro Blue/Black difference?

loki03xlh

I'm looking at new batter heads for my toms, and was wanting to know the difference (besides price) of the Evans Hydro Black and Hydro Blue?

Color.

Sorry, I'm trying hard to to be a smart ass, but other than the color (clear, transparent blue, or opaque black) they're all the same. Two 7-mil plies with oil in-between.

Black heads are more expensive in general because (I'm guessing) it actually takes quite a lot of black dye to make plastic totally opaque black.

Color.

Sorry, I'm trying hard to to be a smart ass, but other than the color (clear, transparent blue, or opaque black) they're all the same. Two 7-mil plies with oil in-between.

Black heads are more expensive in general because (I'm guessing) it actually takes quite a lot of black dye to make plastic totally opaque black.

The Hydraulic Black is actually 7.5mil black and 6.5mil clear. This black film is pigmented, not dyed. The Hydraulic Blue is two plies of identical 7mil blue. The blue is a bit more open/resonant, whereas the black is the fattest-sounding, with the shortest sustain.

Cheers!

The Hydraulic Black is actually 7.5mil black and 6.5mil clear. This black film is pigmented, not dyed. The Hydraulic Blue is two plies of identical 7mil blue. The blue is a bit more open/resonant, whereas the black is the fattest-sounding, with the shortest sustain.

Cheers!

I stand corrected! :)

Hmm, so the Black Chromes are basically Hydraulic Blacks with a .5mil thicker clear ply (according to this) and no oil? Interesting.

It's not quite that simple. The 7mil clear film is very different from the 6.5mil. In addition, the 7mil clear ply of the Black Chrome is on the top, as opposed to the Hydraulic that includes it on the bottom. There is much for to films than just the thickness :)

It's not quite that simple. The 7mil clear film is very different from the 6.5mil. In addition, the 7mil clear ply of the Black Chrome is on the top, as opposed to the Hydraulic that includes it on the bottom. There is much for to films than just the thickness :)

Oh, okay. I figured you meant "clear" on both of them like the Genera Reso clear film as opposed to the G1 'clear' (a little hazy) film, but obviously that is not the case.

I use nothing but Evans blue hydraulic on all of my Zickos drums, though there may be one or more original Zickos heads still on but those were made by Evans. I like the way they sound and the way they look. IMHO they are not too dead sounding.

Back