Anybody here watching/bidding on the Ringo Starr auction?

Dosta-Ro

Lotsa neat stuff on the Julien's live auction of Ringo & Barbara's stuff. I saw where the iconic bass drum head from The Beatles' first Ed Sullivan appearance sold for over two million dollars!

I browsed through all the items this morning, lots of neat items. Clothes, jewelry, sales awards, and of course drums.

I'm wondering if they'll get $20K for the Carl Palmer stainless drum kit.

Edit: he's 5'6", no way that stuff will fit haha

Last edited:
Heading back out to L.A. now for the sale. I have my eye on a couple of things, so if the bidding is reasonable, I'll likely come home with something.......Russ

Lotsa neat stuff on the Julien's live auction of Ringo & Barbara's stuff. I saw where the iconic bass drum head from The Beatles' first Ed Sullivan appearance sold for over two million dollars!

Wait, I thought that was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum! I saw it there! Unless it was on loan or something.

Wow!
I'll guess the drum set will sell even higher!

Yeah, I've been following this for a while. I've bid online on a few things, and in some cases I've already been outbid. I think some of this stuff is going to go huge. I'd love to hear if you win anything.

I hadn't even looked at anything until a friend sent a link to something, so I registered and bid on it! Will let you know if I win. BTW, there's a pretty hefty fee set on all items won, 25% on everything up to $200,000! The good news is, it's only 20% above $200,000 - what a deal!

If you guys have been paying attention to some of my posts, you can probably guess what I bid on. :)

Bermuda

I hadn't even looked at anything until a friend sent a link to something, so I registered and bid on it! Will let you know if I win. BTW, there's a pretty hefty fee set on all items won, 25% on everything up to $200,000! The good news is, it's only 20% above $200,000 - what a deal!

If you guys have been paying attention to some of my posts, you can probably guess what I bid on. :)

Bermuda
Man.. good luck.. i am a ringo nut and wish i could bid on anything there :)

P.S. thanks to whoever posted this.. i had forgotten about it..

1367 lots.. and 3 days long.. ill need a reminder in a few days now:)

Their terms specify: "A buyer's premium will be added to the successful bid price and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price. I acknowledge and agree that a 25% Buyer’s Premium will be added to the hammer price on each individual lot with a hammer price of $0 to $200,000, on which I am the successful bidder. I further acknowledge and agree that for each individual lot sold for a hammer price above $200,000, on which I am the successful bidder, a Buyer's Premium of 25% will be added to the hammer price up to $200,000 and an additional Buyer's Premium of 20% will be added to any amount above $200,000. By way of example, on a lot with a hammer price of $225,000, a Buyer's Premium of 25% will be added to the hammer price up to $200,000, for an amount of $50,000, and a Buyer's Premium of 20% will be added to the remainder of the hammer price of $25,000, for an amount of $5,000. Thus, the total Buyer's Premium of $55,000 will be added to the hammer price of $225,000."

It gets worse: "In addition, there will be an additional 3% buyer's premium charged for any lots won online."

!!

If I win that thing, it's gonna cost a lot of pretty pennies!

Bermuda

Bermuda

Can you tell us what you bid on? I'm not privy to that conversation.

Their terms specify: "A buyer's premium will be added to the successful bid price and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price. I acknowledge and agree that a 25% Buyer’s Premium will be added to the hammer price on each individual lot with a hammer price of $0 to $200,000, on which I am the successful bidder. I further acknowledge and agree that for each individual lot sold for a hammer price above $200,000, on which I am the successful bidder, a Buyer's Premium of 25% will be added to the hammer price up to $200,000 and an additional Buyer's Premium of 20% will be added to any amount above $200,000. By way of example, on a lot with a hammer price of $225,000, a Buyer's Premium of 25% will be added to the hammer price up to $200,000, for an amount of $50,000, and a Buyer's Premium of 20% will be added to the remainder of the hammer price of $25,000, for an amount of $5,000. Thus, the total Buyer's Premium of $55,000 will be added to the hammer price of $225,000."

It gets worse: "In addition, there will be an additional 3% buyer's premium charged for any lots won online."

!!

If I win that thing, it's gonna cost a lot of pretty pennies!

Bermuda

I wonder if that is common practice with auctions like this or if it was something that Ringo worked in to the deal to have Julien's be the auction house for his stuff.

Either way, I believe its total crap and a big turn off to bidding on anything.

If the "hammer price" of that Ed Sullivan bass drum head was $2M, the "Buyer's Premium" was $410k. If the purchaser purchased online, they were charged an additional $60k on top of that making the total price of that drum head $2.47M. Huge waste of money, IMO.

Well.. you know the fees to start with.. so you big accordingly.. And the kind of person bidding on those items doesn't care about 400k :) I saw a few things today i would have liked.. nothing beatle related.. just nice items..

I wonder if that is common practice with auctions like this or if it was something that Ringo worked in to the deal to have Julien's be the auction house for his stuff.

Either way, I believe its total crap and a big turn off to bidding on anything.

If the "hammer price" of that Ed Sullivan bass drum head was $2M, the "Buyer's Premium" was $410k. If the purchaser purchased online, they were charged an additional $60k on top of that making the total price of that drum head $2.47M. Huge waste of money, IMO.

BTW.. in higher end auctions a buyers premium is normal.. BUT.. 25% is really insane. you normally see 15%..

Kind of hope at the end they will announce it all goes to charity or something...

Well.. you know the fees to start with.. so you big accordingly.. And the kind of person bidding on those items doesn't care about 400k :) I saw a few things today i would have liked.. nothing beatle related.. just nice items..

I work with people who spend $2M building a house. If we threw a bill of $470K at them they would file a lawsuit against us. They complain about our $100K design fee already. That's only 5% total cost of construction. Try finding any non-basement architect who will design your house for 5%. It ain't happening. So, they most certainly care about the $400K.

Back